Garmin 24K TOPO install

Discussion related to Garmin BaseCamp software for Windows
dmb1319

Garmin 24K TOPO install

Unread post by dmb1319 »

A friend has the 24K TOPO for the Southwest on DVD, no longer available.
He got a new laptop that has Windows 10 installed.
He had problems installing the 24K TOPO so asked for help.

Initially, we were prompted to install the .net framework before the TOPO install could proceed. We clicked 'Next' to begin. The problem is, the license agreement dialog is hidden. We can use the Alt-Tab or Windows key-Tab keystroke functions to cycle through open windows. When we do, we can clearly see the license agreement dialog window. But when we try to select it, the previous dialog with the 'Next" option appears. We were unable to agree to the license terms and install .net framework.

I tried going to https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/d ... rk-runtime and downloading/installing .net 4.7.2. But when we tried to install the TOPO again we had the same problem. I have Windows 10 on this desktop and had no problem installing the 24K TOPO from my DVD.

If anyone has any idea how to overcome this so we can install his TOPO, I would be grateful for an assist.
The only feeling better than needing something on the trail and having it, is having it and not needing it!
Ride prepared!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Garmin 24K TOPO install

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Does the Map Installer request a specific .net framework?

Maybe try with the oldest .net version listed at the page you linked to (v3.5) and reboot (you did reboot after installing, right?) then try again?

I see the current download version requires v4.5 or newer.

Maybe it is a problem with the older installer package bundled with the DVD?

It may be NLA on DVD, but Garmin should be able to help if called.
dmb1319

Unread post by dmb1319 »

It's been a day or two since we tried this. Somewhere in the research I did later I thought I may have seen something about it requiring .net 3.5. It seemed strange to me that version 4.7.2 would not have been a "roll up" of previous versions updated to the most current version. But what do I know, I'm not a programmer!

I'll try to reach him tomorrow and see if version 3.5 will help.

Actually, I wondered if it was the .net framework since that dialog box was obscured. I wondered if it may be a display setting. There are too many things it COULD be. There's always booting into SAFE mode and trying the install also. I hoped someone here would know. I usually have MUCH better luck here than with Garmin! But if push comes to shove.....

Thanks for the ideas!
The only feeling better than needing something on the trail and having it, is having it and not needing it!
Ride prepared!
dmb1319

Unread post by dmb1319 »

Update 10 Jan 2019
We re-started the (WinX) system in safe mode and tried installing the 24K TOPO. We managed to get TO the License agreement dialog in Safe Mode so I will GUESS the problem was a video driver. However, the backup disc we were using had an unknown (read on). When that failed - .NET still not installed - we rebooted normally and tried installing .NET framework version 3.5. When this installed we re-tried and (now) did not see the .NET dialog. It proceeded straight to map install. This is where we got a bad sector message. Since this was a backup disc, we'll retry from another backup. There were no noticeable marks on the disc.

We DID however, manage a good installation of the Garmin 100K TOPO. So, hopefully, we've resolved the issue by installing .NET Framework version 3.5. If all ealse fails, we'll install the 24K TOPO from a USB drive.
Ride prepared!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Sounds like you are making progress, but it sure is making you earn it on this one!
CharlesSib

Garmin 24K TOPO install

Unread post by CharlesSib »

cause you get all of canada when you buy the topo maps
its 4 cdswhere you live?
http://whatsappbot.flyland.ru/
dmb1319

Unread post by dmb1319 »

30 Aug 2019 - update
"Experience is a dear teacher, but only a fool learns" - Benjamin Franklin, paraphrased

When I had problem installing the 24K TOPO on this desktop and Garmin's reply to replacing the media was "buy it again", I made an ISO image.
When helping someone install the 24K TOPO on a WinX system and we had the problem installing the .NET framework component, I copied all the files from my DVD to a folder on one of my network drives.

A couple of days ago I decided to cave and replaced Win7 with WinX on my notebook (laptop). After the OS and Virus protection were installed I installed Basecamp - with the normal file associations problem. That's an easy fix - more later.

I tried to install the 24K TOPO and there it was again. The problem where it wanted to install the .NET framework but hid the dialog box with the license acknowledgement box behind the main installation dialog box. It started to come back to me. THIS time, I went to the folder where the 24K TOPO files reside on my network drive. One of the sub-folders there is a \NET folder. in that folder there is an installer for the .NET framework. I ASSUME the 24K TOPO installer runs that when a system is detected that needs it. i just ran it by double clicking it. It fetched some things from the www and completed rather quickly with no problems. THEN, when I re-ran the 24K TOPO installer on the notebook, it found the 'NET framework it likes and carried on with the rest of the install. No problems. Old fools CAN learn.

WinX and file associations. I've either installed or watched several others install Basecamp on winX systems. After Basecamp is up and running when they click on a GDB or GPX file the OS does not know to open the file with Basecamp and chokes. Neither file extension is associated with Basecamp during the Basecamp installation. An easy way to correct this is to right click on one of the files, like a GPX file and select Properties. At the top of the Properties dialog is a line that begins: Open with:. That SHOULD show Basecamp Application, but has not on the WinX installatioons I've done/seen. The simple solution is to click the Change button next to it. Basecamp has never been shown on the next dialog so I've had to click on More apps, then scroll to the bottom of that dialog box and click on Look for another app on this PC. That opens a Windows Explorer dialog box where you can navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\BaseCamp where you will find basecamp.exe. Click on that and OK your way out. then, the next time you double click a GPX file it will open with Basecamp. Same process for a GDB file.

For anyone who HAS the old 24K TOPOs on DVD this may be useful. But since Garmin no longer sells the maps on DVD it may have limited use. I have not seen an update for the US Southwest 24K TOPOs since i bought my DVD. So I am clinging to my copy because, for me, it is still very useful.
Ride prepared!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Funny, the less desirable 100k topo maps are updated regularly, but the 24k are still the 2008 version IIRC.

Return to “BaseCamp (PC)”