GPSMAP 66sr Firmware 4.90

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: GPSMAP 66sr Firmware 4.90

Unread post by GPSrChive »

mimichris wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:58 pm I just noticed that Garmin has changed the interface so much at the satellite level that even if some are not acquired, they no longer flash. It's totally abnormal. However, an unacknowledged satellite must flash.
Unable to duplicate this behavior.

Can you post screen captures or better yet a short video?

Thank You!
mimichris

Unread post by mimichris »

It will be useless, when you turn on the 66sr, the satellites are not all fixed the time to acquire the almanch and the satellite (s) in question must flash (especially on the sky sphere and if the bars are completely black ) and as soon as they are fixed they stop flashing it is like that on all the GPS that I have and that I have had. But not on the 66sr with their modification they had to stop the flashing of the satellites whatever their state.
Because on version 3.80 when the satellites were not fixed those of the GPS and Glonass flashed when the bars were totally black and flashed in the sphere of the sky, then when there were some green transverse bars in the black bars, the satellites no longer blinking, I'm sure.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
0x01

Unread post by 0x01 »

mimichris wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:26 am According to the RTKlib graph on geocaching.com, the Glonass and Galileo satellites are lost after 10 hours of uninterrupted operation of the 65s, is this due to a saving of energy proper to the 65s after a very long operating time.
It's not a feature. It's a bug. Clearly.
GPSMAP 65s | eTrex Legend HCx
GPSrChive
Site Admin

mimichris wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:53 pm It will be useless, when you turn on the 66sr, the satellites are not all fixed the time to acquire the almanch and the satellite (s) in question must flash (especially on the sky sphere and if the bars are completely black ) and as soon as they are fixed they stop flashing it is like that on all the GPS that I have and that I have had.
The GPSMAP 65 and GPSMAP 66sr are not like all the other GPSr you have or have had.

These devices use a CPE file that pre-loads the almanac during the boot process, provided the file is not out of date (usually good for up to 14 days) and the GPSr has not moved a great distance since last powered off.
mimichris

Not a bug, OK, but then why before the firmware change did it work as I stated for all satellites ?

It is not very important in fact it is just to know which satellite is fixed or not it gives an idea of the precision since at least three satellites are needed for the precision to be correct.
mimichris

Hello,
Tuesday during a hike, at the end when I recorded the track, I looked at the satellites, Glonass was missing, I had to turn off the 66sr and then turn it on again so that Glonass was visible, a bug of version 4.90 ?
In any case it did not change the quality of the track, Galileo being precise it compensates for the lack of Glonass.

I read that today, two additional Galileo satellites will be sent into space by a Soyuz launcher from Gourou, French Guyana, that will make two more.
CheminerWill

Unread post by CheminerWill »

Referring to Crash Report #3:
Saving an Activity may result in a frozen Recording Controls page followed by a device crash.
I was not able to find from a search or the crash report itself when this was first reported but this just started happening to me with the latest update. It never happened before then. I have found that when it happens, even though the Recordings Control page is blank and frozen, I can press either the Page or Quit button and it will navigate to an adjacent page. I can then go back to the Recording Controls page and all is fine. The Activity does seem to save OK though.

Not a big inconvenience as it is easy enough to navigate a page away and back to avoid the crash and start the Activity Recoding. I was just wondering how long ago this was first reported a sent to Garmin? Thanks.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

CheminerWill wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:41 pm Referring to Crash Report #3:
Saving an Activity may result in a frozen Recording Controls page followed by a device crash.
I was just wondering how long ago this was first reported a sent to Garmin? Thanks.
GPSMAP 66 Crash 15 was reported the day after the current firmware versions were released.
CheminerWill

Unread post by CheminerWill »

Thanks! Curious also if there have been any educated guesses as to what Garmin did in this latest update that might have created this? At least it is 100% reproducible.
muldereric

Unread post by muldereric »

So far every update of Garmin has caused issues on my 66SR. After every update there's always something that isn't working right which requires a restore to factory defaults to fix. With the update to 4.90 however the problems remained and I contacted Garmin support. It took them forever to react and now, 3 weeks after the initial mail, the second mail they've send me yesterday contained instruction on how to fully wipe the unit and reinstall the software and maps. Followed all instructions to the letter but still ended up with a brick.
After formatting the unit as per their instructions, the unit shut down. It does start when the power button is pressed, but USB is no longer working so I can't restore the unit. When I connect the USB cable the device switches to USB mode but is not recognized on the PC it is connected to. When unplugging the cable the unit stays in USB mode like it is hanging/frozen.
Thanks Garmin! :cry:
Last edited by muldereric on Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”