Montana 750i RMA replaced - routing still does not work

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
ConiKost

Montana 750i RMA replaced - routing still does not work

Unread post by ConiKost »

Since Garmin send me finally a new Montana 750i, I was curious, if routing will now for me.
TL;DR: Same problem still exists.

When I do start a new route in profile 'Driving', it shows, as usual, the magenta colored line. But I am not shown exactly on the road, while moving. I am a little bit shown either on left or ride site of the route. I don't think, that this is okay, as the option 'Lock on Road' is set to yes, so I should be locked on the magenta line. if driving on this road.

So my Montana 750i behaves again, as I would have left the route. The Guidance Text Box on top only shows "Continue to <Street>" and no turn-by-turn messages are shown and no turn-by-turn voice is outputed.

After I turned my Montana 750i on I did in order
1. Made full backup of internal storage with 7-Zip
2. Update City Navigator to 2021.20
3. Update Firmware to 9.20
4. Delete TopoActive with Garmin Express
5. Transfer 2 routes from BaseCamp to GPSr
6. Set language to English
7. Opened profile 'Driving'
8. I have configured in Setup -> Routing -> Acticity to Driving and set Lock on Road to yes.
9) I have configured in Setup -> Heading -> Compass to Off
Note: No SD card inserted, so I only have City Navigator and Basemap installed.

Then I took my Montana outside and tried to navigate a simple route.

I'm at the point where I don't know what to do. I don't think, that this is an hardware issue. So what I am missing here? I can't be so stupid?!

Funfact: If I take 276Cx parallel with me, routing just works fine.. It locks on road and works with turn-by-turn perfectly.
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
ConiKost

Re: Montana 750i RMA replaced - routing still does not work

I have now continued testing and went outside the door for half an hour. But only by foot.

Scenario: I move along by foot next to a public (car) road. I also planned an simple route with 3 waypoints directly on the Montana. Effectively it just goes straight ahead and then turn left once at the end.

If I start directly with the activity car or motorcycle, I am displayed next to the street when I walk along the street. No navigation instructions are shown. Even, when I walk for a moment on the street itself, so I am shown on Montana directly being in the route, Montana does not recognize this.

But: If I start a different activity, like cycling, everything works fine. It only takes 1-2 seconds, I am immediately "snapped" on the road and from that moment on, all the navigation instructions run. If I then start the route again with the activity car or motorcycle, everything works too.

If I repeat that now, turning GPSr off, wait a moment and turn GPSr on again, the same problem occurs when I first start with the activity car or motorcycle. If I start activity cycling first, everything will work.

I feel kind of lost, as I don't understand that. Option "Lock on Road" is enabled for all profiles.
ConiKost

I think, that my 750i has an own living KI :twisted:
For testing, I now created a route with several waypoints on Montana directly and a route with BaseCamp.
I took my motorbike for a ride and both routes just were working perfectly fine..
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Please continue documenting your observations here for possible future reference by Garmin software engineers.

Also, please wait until after the next firmware update is installed and then continue testing to see if these issues still exist.

Return to “Montana 7x0”