Is the GPSMAP 66s worth it help me choose ??

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
asprin624

Re: Is the GPSMAP 66s worth it help me choose ??

Unread post by asprin624 »

@Александр,

Why do you question what I say.
I charged the batteries a day before we left for Germany.
The first date Sat. we were out for 4 hours hiking
Sun the whole day 7 hours
Monday 6 hours.
I am home now and the 66 still shows full battery.
If you like I will post a screenshot of the screen on the 66.
I already pointed out that most things are not in use.
NO WIFI, NO Bluetooth, The screen is off in 30 sec. screen saver is ON
I just turned on the 66 and the battery is still good to go after using it on the last date Oct. 5th. for 2 hours before leaving to drive home. It is now the 23 of Oct. and my Ikea batteries are still good to go.
That is without even using Expedition Mode.
So there is no magic in what I do the Ikea batteries are very good and the 66 is setup to give me the battery use.
asprin624

For those who wish to know:

Panasonic Eneloop vs IKEA LADDA (Are They The Same? )

It is a good read......

Unread post by 987 »

Hi.
I have made that journey, going from Vista HCx to GPSMAP 66st.

In the the beginning i found 66s/st very buggy, but with the version 6.00 firmware or higher (currently 7.60) many of the most annoying issues are gone.
Since you suggest to get the 66s you will need to add maps yourself, this works fine and you can have multiple maps (compared to the vista), the only poor solution is the placement of the microSD card.
You can check the common issues page (https://www.gpsrchive.com/GPSMAP/GPSMAP ... ssues.html) to see if there is anything that would bother you too much.

In the beginning i also could not get used to the colour schema that 66s/st uses, the vista has a very good colour schema that makes it easy to see what is presented on the screen.
The vista always felt very mature (everything worked), the 66s/st feels a bit like a newbie, some bugs are not yet corrected and some parts of the user interface are slow (searching in some cases, opening/editing waypoints). Actually slower than one can expect from such a unit.
Some things work a bit different but for any day to day usage i cannot complain. If you use the compass heavily it works a bit different than on the vista, some are not satisfied with this. (there are topics in the forum).

The track log settings of auto and most frequent are much better than on the Vista. The logging mechanism works a bit different, but once i got used to i find it very useful.

GPS fix is usually a bit better than what it was on the vista HCx and will be better than Cx as well.

The unit is more bulky, this is fine if i drive or put it in the back pack, but not so good if i want in a pocket (for example when running, skiing, bicycling).
The barometer is slower than on the Vista, but nothing to worry about in most cases.
You should not use alkaline batteries, the unit will actually warn you if you use alkaline batteries and turn off some features(it does not tell which), therefore, always use NiHM rechargeable or Lithium.
Battery life is about 15-21 hour for a pair of good NiHM batteries (2400-2600 mAh), this is with connections (wifi, bluetooth, ant+) turned off. Lithium usually runs a bit longer. (see this topic https://www.gpsrchive.com/Discussion/vi ... .php?t=697). Depending on your usage, it may be anything from 1/2 a day extensive usage to a few days of limited usage.

If your map(s) supports routing, routing works fine and with the later firmwares even a bit better than on the Vista.

You may also add custom maps and do satellite image download to the unit on 66s/st, i don't use it much but it has been helpful in a few cases.

All in all, i am satisfied with the unit, but it is a bit larger than what is convenient in some cases.
My next choice would be etrex 32x as was mentioned by another poster, but it seems etrex 32x cannot do car routing with OSM maps (any OSM map, not only garmin provided), that is a show stopper for me at least, so i am continuing with 66st. :-)

Good luck!
Александр

Unread post by Александр »

@ asprin624
Hi, I have absolutely no doubt that you believe in what you write. Here is just one post you write: "I use Ikea batteries with a capacity of 2450 mAh and can work from 3 to 4 days of intensive work", INTENSIVE,
and in another:
"4 hours hiking
Sun all day 7 hours
Monday 6 o'clock ",
(Total 17 hours) describe the economic mode of use (NO WIFI, NO Bluetooth, the screen turns off after 30 seconds. Screensaver is ON),. Did you write this?, For a total of 17 hours !!!, which, in general, is close to real.
In my opinion, intensive use implies the inclusion of all functions of the device, and the definition of Day, at least daylight hours.
This is where my surprise comes from. But of course I am not in any way belittling your understanding of everything. This is your understanding and you have a right to it. I just mean that other people who turn to this forum for help, the same have the right to their own perception. And express your indignation (as you quite often allow yourself) to those who write about what they would like to fix or change, at least it is not correct.
Good luck to you.
original
Привет, абсолютно не сомневаюсь в том, что вы верите в то , что пишите. Вот только в одном посте Вы пишите: "использую аккумуляторы Ikea емкостью 2450 мАч и могу работать от 3 до 4 дней интенсивной работы", ИНТЕНСИВНОЙ,
а в другом:
"4 часа в походе
ВС весь день 7 часов
Понедельник 6 часов",
(Итого 17 часов) описываете экономичный режим использования ( НЕТ WIFI, НЕТ Bluetooth, экран выключается через 30 секунд. хранитель экрана ВКЛЮЧЕН), . Это же Вы написали?, в течении в общей сложности 17 часов !!!, что вобщем то близко к реальному.
На мой взгляд интенсивное использование подразумевает включение всех функций прибора, и определение День, как минимум световой День.
Вот отсюда моё удивление. Но конечно же я не в коем случае не умаляю Ваше понимание всего. Это Ваше понимание и Вы имеете на него право. Я лишь о том, что и у других людей обращающихся на этот форум за помощью, то же есть право на собственное восприятие. И высказывать своё негодование (как Вы достаточно часто себе позволяете) в адрес тех кто пишит о том что хотелось бы исправить или изменить, ка минимум не корректно.
Удачи Вам.
asprin624

I am happy with it and it has not let me down after I fixed the SD slot from jarring open to freeze the 66.
To each his own as to they like or dislike the 66s.
The user asked "Is the GPSMAP 66s worth"
It all comes down to what you want to use the 66s for.
Some users want the screen on all the time so they can use it at night. (That does run the battery down fast)
Others are not happy with how the compass works others do not use it or just sometimes.
Keeping WIFI and Bluetooth I have yet to find a need for it. To call home or check the weather my phone is there at all times if I need it. The reason I am out hiking or Geocaching is to get away from everything and enjoy being in the woods back to nature. What one calls intensive use is very different then the next person. But so what??? The fact I get 17+ hours of use out of it the last time I was out with it not having to switch batteries out is good. I have not had to recharge my the batteries yet and will be out all day tomorrow could be 4hrs,6hrs, or 8hrs or even longer I know I will not run out of power with it. Is it perfect, we first have to define what is perfect first when using a GPS handheld unit. What do I want out of it is not the same as the next person. One should always read the reviews and watch videos of users who have taken the 66s out in the field and then make your choice. If cost is a factor then you would have to look at other GPS units that fit your budget. Would I buy another Garmin at this time no. Maybe in a couple of years by then newer more advanced units will be out. I have no problem to recommend the 66s to the user as a good GPS handheld others might not but that is with everything in life.
Александр

Unread post by Александр »

I am glad that we have finally come to an understanding. You are absolutely right. To each his own. But don't you think that this is exactly what I wrote to you earlier? Don't answer, the question is rhetorical.
Good luck.
mobeasto123

Unread post by mobeasto123 »

Thanks guys for all your answers, Im really hoping garmin will find a way to put some reliable GPS into market without having to wait 2-3 years to get all the bug fixed to make it work. They are not really stressed out they are nearly alone now in this market.

Thanks again
David

Unread post by 987 »

Hi.
I had a chance to try a etrex 32x recently.
It works well, but feels slower than the old etrex vista HCx, also satellite reception seems to be worse than on GPSMAP 66s/st and also worse than the old etrex HCx, hence if good reception is priority, i must recomment the GPSMAP 66-series over the etrex 32x.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”