Garmin Monterra Cannot be updated?

Discussion related to the Garmin Monterra GPSr
blinker112

Garmin Monterra Cannot be updated?

Unread post by blinker112 »

I just got this Monterra used 2 days ago, and found out the device is still on a beta build of software. So when I tried using the OTA updater to get to version 4.10 it would be stuck on an infinite download bar. After, I tried using Garmin Express to update it, which also failed. Garmin Express gave me a "unable to connect to server" error every time I tried to add the Monterra as a device. Then I tried using Basecamp and Webupdater to update it, and guess what? It also didn't work. Webupdater downloaded the file then gave me a "File is corrupted" error. I wouldn't care about this if it wasn't on a beta build. Please, if anybody knows how I could force the device to update? I have all the firmware files, but it just wont update. Here's all the info on the device.

GPS Firmware Version: MT3333 Beta Software 0.12

Software Version: 1.11_0i15

Kernel Version: 3.0.21-00003-OMAP-Android
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Garmin Monterra Cannot be updated?

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Have you considered loading your update files to a microSD card, along with an APK installer, and then trying to install the updates using the APK installer on the device itself?
blinker112

The update file does not have an .apk extension, but I'll try it and get back to you.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

blinker112 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:18 pm I have all the firmware files, but it just wont update. Here's all the info on the device.
Which firmware update files do you have?

The final firmware release was v4.10, which is available from the GPSrChive > Monterra > Firmware page.

Download, unzip and install this file into the \Garmin\Update\ directory on the Monterra (create it if does not exist.) and then initiate the update on the device in Settings > System > About Monterra > System Updates.
blinker112

I need to update the chipset firmware and the device firmware. I have both files, and I'll try doing what you said.
blinker112

I tried putting the 4.10 update in the /Garmin/Update/ directory and updating it through the OTA update menu and it didn't work. Is the .update extension the proper extracted format? Or do I need to get a special extraction application to extract the file?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

That is the original extension for those update files.

Your Monterra has a very early beta firmware, I am very surprised it was never updated to any public release firmware versions.

Can you send me the 'Garmin.Device.xml' file from your Monterra? (webmaster at GPSrChive dot com)
blinker112

I just joined this forum so I cannot send it via PM. How should I send the file to you?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Please read my previous post again :mrgreen:
blinker112

Okay I sent the XML, it should be in your inbox soon!

Return to “Monterra”