Wired connection to an iPad

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 6x0 series GPSr
Mick F

Re: Wired connection to an iPad

Unread post by Mick F »

Good morning.
Thanks for your info, and it's food for thought.

Say I buy another SD card. The one that is fitted in Monty, has my maps on it. The new card could be put in.

Is it possible to save a track onto the SD card? If so, the card could be removed and fitted into a reader and connected to the iPad for transfer.

Possible?
If so, how?

Thanks, Mick.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Unfortunately, I am not aware of any method to direct the GPSr to write or copy a track file to the microSD card.
LostAgain

Unread post by LostAgain »

gpsrchive wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:47 pm Make sure you can afford a replacement device before you start modifying the file system with your iPad (or any phone/tablet).

There are countless examples in many forums where a user's GPSr was bricked after they made file changes using an OTG cable and a mobile device.
Can you post some links to a few examples of those please?
I can't seem to find anything like that when searching, only lots of posts about firmware updates bricking devices.
ConiKost

Unread post by ConiKost »

I am using OTG with my iPhone to connect various devices including mine Montana 750i. Always just worked fine. Never hat any issues with the Garmin GPSr afterwards.
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
Mick F

Unread post by Mick F »

gpsrchive wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:05 pm Unfortunately, I am not aware of any method to direct the GPSr to write or copy a track file to the microSD card.
Thanks.
That's what I thought.
Had a play with it this morning, and there seemed no way to access the SD card to write to it.
Sad really methinks.
ConiKost wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:58 pm I am using OTG with my iPhone to connect various devices including mine Montana 750i. Always just worked fine. Never hat any issues with the Garmin GPSr afterwards.
Can you provide a link (or two) of the connectors you bought please?
I'm very much a newbie when it comes to connectors and stuff.

Were you able to transfer recorded tracks to your iPhone?

Thanks, Mick.
ConiKost

Unread post by ConiKost »

Mick F wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:59 pm Can you provide a link (or two) of the connectors you bought please?
I'm very much a newbie when it comes to connectors and stuff.
I don't think, that links in germany will help you. Just search for a lightning to usb cable. There are plenty outside.
Mick F wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:59 pm Were you able to transfer recorded tracks to your iPhone?
Didn't tried. As I am still waiting for RMA replacement for my device, I am not able to test currently..
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
Mick F

Unread post by Mick F »

Thanks. :D

I already have the Lightning/USB and the Montana/USB cable, so all I need is a female/female USB connector.

Mick.
Mick F

Unread post by Mick F »

Bought a female/female USB connector from eBay very cheaply. It arrived today.

Connected Montana to iPad ................. and nothing happened.
I expected that Montana would have booted up, but no. So I booted it manually hoping to see some evidence of its presence on iPad, but no. Nothing.

Tried my Garmin Edge20 in the vain hope it might be different, but no.

Oh well, I tried!

Mick.
skinnie

Unread post by skinnie »

I think you have two options:
Adapter like this and you connect the gpsr there via usb cable (almost for sure you need power,so connect a charger or a powerbank)

or an adapter like this one and connect only the sdcard of the gpsr and pass the gpx files there.
Also you can connect the gpsr there. Again, almost for sure you need power.
In any of the cases I would write only to the sdcard and not the internal memory of the gpsr.
Last edited by skinnie on Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rgschmidt

Unread post by rgschmidt »

I use my iPad Pro 12.9 to upload concepts geocache_visits.txt all the time with an Apple USB-C-USB-C cable.

I once made a mistake to write a single file to my GPSr. It was bricked instantly and had to ga back to Garmin. So be careful.
Garmin GPSMAP 65S | Garmin GPSMAP 66SR | Garmin GPSMAP 66ST | Garmin Extrex 30

Return to “Montana 6x0”