Wired connection to an iPad

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 6x0 series GPSr
dmb1319

Re: Wired connection to an iPad

Unread post by dmb1319 »

iPad and all things IOS are a pain when it comes to file manipulation. When I want to put a file on my iPad from a real computer, I just send myself an email with the file attached. When I retrieve the email on the iPad I save the attached file. But as noted, VIEWING a GPX or GDB file on an iPad is a real challenge. I don't know of a way to do it ON the iPad. I'm not fond of Garmin's GDB file format either. I much prefer GPX files. It's easy to save a track as a GPX file in Basecamp. Using an iPad you can upload a GPX file to GPS Visualizer (https://www.gpsvisualizer.com/) and create a downloadable map (in html format) showing the track.

Personally, I think if you HAVE a track on a real computer moving it to an iPad to view is making things difficult. If the computer has Basecamp installed, view it there. If not upload it straight to GPS visualizer. Thinking about it, if your requirement is to view a track ON an iPad because of it's portability, creating an html format file at GPS Visualizer will make it viewable with Safari on an iPad. The GPS Visualizer map includes a really good selection of map type on which to view the track also.

There may be other solutions, this is just what came to mind.
The only feeling better than needing something on the trail and having it, is having it and not needing it!
Ride prepared!

Return to “Montana 6x0”