Wired connection to an iPad

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 6x0 series GPSr
Mick F

Wired connection to an iPad

Unread post by Mick F »

Is it possible to connect a Montana 600 to an iPad?
I know that Apple don't support it, but surely a lead exists that will connect the two together so a track can be transferred.

Displaying the track is a different subject maybe, but it needs the connection first.
ConiKost

Re: Wired connection to an iPad

Unread post by ConiKost »

A normal OTG-USB-Cable should do the trick.
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
Mick F

Unread post by Mick F »

Thanks for getting back to me.

It seems my iPad has a Lightning connector.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_(connector)
Are you saying I need a lightning to USB female to connect to a USB male to the normal Montana 600 connector?

This means two leads. One I already have because the 600 already has it, and one I need to buy ................... lightning to USB female.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Make sure you can afford a replacement device before you start modifying the file system with your iPad (or any phone/tablet).

There are countless examples in many forums where a user's GPSr was bricked after they made file changes using an OTG cable and a mobile device.
Mick F

Unread post by Mick F »

Who's modifying anything?

Just want to connect Monty (my Montana 600) and perhaps Minty (my Garmin Edge20) to an iPad.

Some years ago, I was cycling on a tour and called in at our older daughter's place and asked her to connect Monty to her computer to eMail the GPX files to our home address. I'd been away from home a couple of weeks and Monty needed a backup. All I had was an iPad ......... which could connect to WiFi wherever I stayed and send emails and stuff but not connect Monty to.

Worked a treat. All she needed to do was transfer the GPX files over and post them off.

Why can't a Montana connect to my iPad so I can do it myself?
......... or can it?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

It 'can be done', and works great. Until it doesn't. And then you need a new GPSr.
Mick F

Unread post by Mick F »

Can I ask why connecting a Garmin to an iPad wrecks the Garmin?

No apps, no anything, just opening the volume, opening the GPX folder and dragging the GPX tracks over.
Impossible or dangerous?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

I'm not looking over thier shoulder when it happens, so I can not give precise examples of how it happens, other than any time the mobile device needs to write to the GPSr, you are risking file structure corruption.
Mick F

Unread post by Mick F »

Ok.
Please don't think I'm arguing or being awkward, but my questions are innocent and open.

Why does the iPad need to write to the Montana or the Edge20? All I want is for Monty and Minty to transfer their GPX tracks.
What happens if the file structure corruption happens? Can you just not reload the software from Garmin?

Thanks.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

The majority of the time someone connects their Garmin GPSr to a phone or tablet is to write some sort of data to it, such as waypoints, geocaches, tracks or routes, etc.

The Garmin devices are very picky about internal memory formatting, and the slightest write error can result in a memory chip that is no longer usable.

If absolutely necessary to do so, I recommend removing the micro SD card and writing to it in an external SD card reader, then returning it to the GPSr once the new data had been written.

I never read or write to any of my Garmin devices with anything other than Windows PC software.

Return to “Montana 6x0”