Garmin TOPO Great Britain v2 PRO 1:25K vs Birdseye Select Plus

Discussion related to all Garmin Topo and TopoActive map products
pokyyy

Garmin TOPO Great Britain v2 PRO 1:25K vs Birdseye Select Plus

Unread post by pokyyy »

I have the Birdseye Select Great Britain Plus (1:25K) and the Garmin TOPO Great Britain v2 PRO 1:25K on microSD.

There is not much difference between the two maps. Only at 300m Topo seems slightly sharper but with less details. The difference in sharpness is hardly detectable (on the device) at 200m, 120m, 80m and 50m.

For comparison I have attached screen captures using Birdseye Select and screen captures using Topo.

I have also attached the screen capture of the iphone of the same area with the Ordnance Survey Map (1:25K). On the phone, the maximum zoom is 50m but on the Garmin device you can keep going but you will get a heavily pixelated image. In reality, I would only be using the device between 80m and 200m, occasionally going down to 50m or up to 300m.

I am not sure if the screen capture on the Garmin device takes into account the resolution of the screen on the device. For example, will the screen capture of a 66i be sharper than the screen capture of 65s?

I don't think I can justify the hefty price of the Topo V2. Maybe in a few years things will be different.

Topo GB v2 Pro 25K vs BirdsEye Select Plus - GPSMAP 65 - 50m to 300m.png

Ordnance Survey 25K - 50m - iPhone SE.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Garmin TOPO Great Britain v2 PRO 1:25K vs Birdseye Select Plus

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Thank you for taking the time to share those screen captures with us!

I personally prefer the appearance of the BirdsEye Select maps over the Topo GB PRO maps.

I wonder what others will say?

Return to “Garmin Topo Maps”