Question about data fields 'Distance To Next' / 'ETA at Next'

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
ConiKost

Question about data fields 'Distance To Next' / 'ETA at Next'

Unread post by ConiKost »

I have a question regarding the data fields 'Distance To Next' and 'ETA at Next'.

What's the purpose of those data fields? My expectation would be, that those data fields will show Distance and ETA for the next VIA point. But in reality, this seems not the case. Instead, both data fields show information, when, for example, I will reach to turn left on the street or when I reach the next crossing.

This seems for me wrong, but it's not related to Montana 7x0 only, as my GPSMap 276Cx shows the same behavior. I wonder, if this is intended? Could be this related to my BaseCamp routes? As all my routes have more than 50 points (a few via points, rest shaping points), I have enabled in BaseCamp the option to strip all shaping points during transfer to GPSr. So the transfered route on GPSr has only 5-6 via points.
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Question about data fields 'Distance To Next' / 'ETA at Next'

Unread post by GPSrChive »

From GPSrChive > How to... > Data Fields:

Distance to Next: The remaining distance to the next waypoint on the route. You must be navigating for this data to appear.

ETA at Next: The estimated time of day when you will reach the next waypoint on the route (adjusted to the local time of the waypoint). You must be navigating for this data to appear.

Opening the 'Active Route' page on your GPSr while navigating will give you a very good idea of which waypoints along the route those data fields will be referring to.

See: GPSrChive > Montana 7x0 > Main Menu > Active Route to see examples for your Montana 7x0.
ConiKost

gpsrchive wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:45 pm Distance to Next: The remaining distance to the next waypoint on the route. You must be navigating for this data to appear.
And what is, in Garmin speech, a waypoint here? Obviously it's not a via point or shaping point.
gpsrchive wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:45 pm ETA at Next: The estimated time of day when you will reach the next waypoint on the route (adjusted to the local time of the waypoint). You must be navigating for this data to appear.

Opening the 'Active Route' page on your GPSr while navigating will give you a very good idea of which waypoints along the route those data fields will be referring to.
I would like to use that function, but it's not really usefull, as it's extremly slow on large routes. See Bug 43.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

ConiKost wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:42 pm And what is, in Garmin speech, a waypoint here? Obviously it's not a via point or shaping point.
Shaping Points are never announced, they are silent.

I have tested my Montana 7x0 and a GPSMAP 66sr this afternoon, and both displayed them in the 'Next Point' data field.
ConiKost wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:42 pm I would like to use that function, but it's not really usefull, as it's extremly slow on large routes. See Bug 43.
The 'Active Route' page works very well for the intended purpose. Most users don't load 800 point routes, and no Garmin Outdoor GPSr can index more than 250 points for direct navigation routes, or 50 points for guided navigation routes.

Working within these specified limitations, the 'Active Route' page works very well.
GPSrChive > How to... > Routes wrote:
Route Terminology
  • POI: A formal Point Of Interest, or entry in the POI database including a name, location, and other useful information.
  • Waypoint: An arbitrary location saved in a database for future reference.
  • Via Point: Any database POI or Waypoint included in a route other than the Start or Finish points.
  • Shaping Point: Any position along a route requiring a change in direction that does not otherwise exist in any database.
ConiKost

gpsrchive wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:03 am
ConiKost wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:42 pm And what is, in Garmin speech, a waypoint here? Obviously it's not a via point or shaping point.
Shaping Points are never announced, they are silent.
Sure, but shaping points work only, as intended, on Automotive devices, as Outdoor devices treat them as regular via points. But I am just not understading the term "waypoint" here - in term of those data fields for Distance/ETA for Next.
gpsrchive wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:03 am I have tested my Montana 7x0 and a GPSMAP 66sr this afternoon, and both displayed them in the 'Next Point' data field.
But unfortunately no distance or ETA, only the name itself :-( It looks like, it's just not possible to have shown distance or ETA to next VIA point.
gpsrchive wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:03 am The 'Active Route' page works very well for the intended purpose. Most users don't load 800 point routes, and no Garmin Outdoor GPSr can index more than 250 points for direct navigation routes, or 50 points for guided navigation routes.
Based on your description, I am still not sure, what a point here is. Could you help me here to understand that better? I am not aware to have so much points? My usual routes have about 5-6 via points and about 60-80 shaping points. As also written by you, you cannot have more than 50 way points, so I am stripping all shaping points during transfer to GPSr (that specific transfer option in BaseCamp).
gpsrchive wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:03 am Working within these specified limitations, the 'Active Route' page works very well.
So a simple 200km A->B route via Where To? is not common, which already slows much down that function? Sorry, but either I am something completly not understanding here or my expectations are too high.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

ConiKost wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:39 am But unfortunately no distance or ETA, only the name itself :-( It looks like, it's just not possible to have shown distance or ETA to next VIA point.
I can not see what you are seeing, but the 'Distance to Next' and 'ETA at Next' data fields also function as expected on my Montana 7x0.
ConiKost

gpsrchive wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:40 pm
ConiKost wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:39 am But unfortunately no distance or ETA, only the name itself :-( It looks like, it's just not possible to have shown distance or ETA to next VIA point.
I can not see what you are seeing, but the 'Distance to Next' and 'ETA at Next' data fields also function as expected on my Montana 7x0.
Hm? Now I am more confused than before.

Let's assume, we have a simple 100km route with 3 VIA Points.
Start -> 1st VP -> 2st VP -> 3rd VP -> End

Now I start to drive from 'Start'. Let's say, I drove now 1km total and my 1st VP will be in about 10km far.

The 'Distance to Next' or 'ETA at Next' are not showing, when my 1st VP will be reached, but instead, they show distance/ETA for only a few hunders meters, which is, when I, for example, will turn left or right.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

ConiKost wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:05 pm The 'Distance to Next' or 'ETA at Next' are not showing, when my 1st VP will be reached, but instead, they show distance/ETA for only a few hunders meters, which is, when I, for example, will turn left or right.
This is correct operation.

The data fields are displaying the time/distance to the 'Next' event in the route, exactly as it is displayed in the 'Active Route' page.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

ConiKost wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:05 pm Hm? Now I am more confused than before.
Seems that way! ;)
ConiKost wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:39 am But I am just not understading the term "waypoint" here - in term of those data fields for Distance/ETA for Next.
They perhaps should have used the term 'Route Point' or 'Routing Point'. In context, the 'Next Waypoint on the route' refers to the next 'event' that requires operator attention or intervention, such as arriving at a turn or destination.

This is why I point you toward the 'Active Route' page, it will make very clear every single event for the current route.
ConiKost

gpsrchive wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:36 pm They perhaps should have used the term 'Route Point' or 'Routing Point'. In context, the 'Next Waypoint on the route' refers to the next 'event' that requires operator attention or intervention, such as arriving at a turn or destination.
I think, that "route point" is really maybe a better term, as I find waypoint in such context highly irritating.
gpsrchive wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:36 pm This is why I point you toward the 'Active Route' page, it will make very clear every single event for the current route.
Okay, I see, what you are up to. Thanks, I do now understand. You could add this as a feature wish, that having data fields for showing distance/eta to next via point would be a great addition.

Return to “Montana 7x0”