Oregon 7x0 Discontinued

Discussion related to the Garmin Oregon 7x0 series GPSr
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Oregon 7x0 Discontinued

Unread post by GPSrChive »

August 25, 2021:

Garmin have quietly added the Oregon 7x0 to their 'Discontinued Products' page with absolutely zero indication of any successor to replace it.

This is a major detour from Garmin's standard operating procedure of announcing a successor either prior or simultaneously.

While the product is still available to buy on the Garmin website, it has been confirmed that when current inventory is depleted, there will be no more.

Many of you have been waiting for the announcement of a new Oregon before purchasing your next Garmin GPSr, and for now, it appears that those hoping for an Oregon 8x0 will have to look elsewhere, as there are no indications of an immanent replacement model.

Could Garmin actually be killing off the Oregon line? If so, what options will this leave those looking for a touchscreen GPSr in this device segment? Having gobbled up all the competition, this move by Garmin may leave a huge empty space in the market.

This leaves the Montana 7x0 as the only outdoor recreation touchscreen GPSr currently in production while the eTrex x2x series remains the only 'patch antenna' device in production. Are they moving toward an 'all quad-helix pushbutton only' product lineup'?

While we have no idea what Garmin's intentions are... we will continue to post more information here as it becomes available.

Please see: GPSrChive > Garmin Timeline > Garmin Discontinues Oregon Product Line for additional details.
ConiKost

Re: Oregon 7x0 Discontinued

Unread post by ConiKost »

Not only Oregon, I am surprised to see the GPSMap 276Cx listed as well.
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
luvvinbird

Unread post by luvvinbird »

And the GPSMAP 66s is on the list, too! I have two of them. I thought that was a popular, rock solid unit. I wonder what their reason is? Does this mean the GPSMAP 66sr will soon go the same route? I haven't bought one yet, I'm still saving for it, lol.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

No, I suspect the 66sr is the 66s/st replacement. Very short product lifespan for the 66s/st, definately a break from tradition.
stantastic

Unread post by stantastic »

A Garmin GPSmap 60CSx used to be my workhorse for all things geocaching, hiking, and routing. Still have it. Then I bumped up to the 62s, which I sorta liked, but hated the screen -- it had the same resolution (pixel size) as the 60CSx, but they screwed with the way everything was displayed and made it harder to read. I still have that. When the Oregon 650 came out, I jumped at that one -- ooooh, a touch screen. I liked that, and the screen was so much easier to read. Still have that one. Then I purchased my current Oregon 750 -- which I've had since it was released. IT has become my workhorse, although it STILL has a mess of things Garmin still hasn't fixed. But I know I can usually load a whole bazillion bunch of caches for long road trips and not worry about any upper limit (although it still locks up because of it once in a while). I think I've probably supplied enough funds to Garmin for them to send half their employee's kids to college!!

And now there's this depressing news. Alas, I have no idea what I'll do when that baby bites the dust...
fujitsu

Unread post by fujitsu »

Hi,

I honestly thought we were going to have a new Oregon GPS looking like the new Montana. It seems not...
And of course I'm sad that my GPSMAP 66s has been discontinued. Maybe no longer have software updates
mity!

Unread post by mity! »

Stantastic's post could have been mine. The 750t is in daily use. It is not the best GPSr that I can imagine. But the best one available for my needs. There is absolutely no recent Garmin device that has the size and capabilities that I would wish (not too big, internet access, camera).

Well, in some state of panic I tried to buy a spare 750t after I read the bad news. And I had to realize that it is nearly impossible to get a new 750t (the only one with camera and bigger memory). I ordered one on a quite dubios online shop with a delivery time of at least one month. Let's see if this will arrive...
GPSrChive
Site Admin

mity! wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:39 pm Well, in some state of panic I tried to buy a spare 750t after I read the bad news. And I had to realize that it is nearly impossible to get a new 750t (the only one with camera and bigger memory). I ordered one on a quite dubios online shop with a delivery time of at least one month. Let's see if this will arrive...
There are still Oregon 7x0 units available via the links in the GPSrChive Store.
mity!

Unread post by mity! »

Ok, that leads me to Amazon US. But as I am a german citizen, that means additonal 125 $ for the delivery… :o And I remember a time when Amazon US did not allow to export electronic devices to Europe. Don‘t know if this would work now…

In fact I could only find one single shop on the german market with O750t in their list (but not in stock…) I think it‘s a british seller. But your link gives me some hope that there are units on the worldwide market available, yet. We will see.
Ahramis

Unread post by Ahramis »

And here we are, April 2023 and no new Oregon GPS... For hiking, the big Montana 700 or the GpsMap 67...
No news about a new Oregon series GPS?

Thank you.

Return to “Oregon 7x0”