276Cx Map Rotation Freezing

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 276Cx GPSr
LostAgain

276Cx Map Rotation Freezing

Unread post by LostAgain »

Howdy All,

Back again with another instalment from the 'map rotation freezing' series :mrgreen:
276Cx this time and they've done it from day one I believe, I've had 2 and they've both done it.
Finally had the time to get a video together showing it happening.

An email I just sent to Garmin about it and also about a guidance text issue that affects the 276Cx, Montana 700, Montana 610 and possibly other Garmin receivers I don't have access to.

This reply is with regards to the GPSMAP 276Cx's map screen freezing the same as the Montana 700's does.
It also shows the guidance text not displaying direction of travel until a certain speed is reached when not navigating on the 276Cx, the Montana 700 and the Montana 610.

The video link is at the bottom of this email and the video has no sound.

The video is of the 276Cx, Montana 700 and Montana 610 in my vehicle side by side with the 276Cx on the left, the Montana 700 in the middle and the Montana 610 on the right.

The first minute shows the guidance text issue with all 3 devices, the speed required for it to start working and speed it stops working again when slowing down.
The guidance text, when not navigating, shows "Ready to Navigate" until a speed of around 11 kph is reached.
This speed is too fast for a person to walk.

The last 5 minutes of the video shows the 276Cx's and the 700's map screen rotation freezing up and not rotating as expected at low speeds.
I continued along at walking pace speeds until both the 276Cx and the 700 'woke up' and started working correctly, a distance of about 200 metres from where I stopped.
It's not shown on the video but if moving slowly and the 276Cx screen is frozen it will free up and start rotating as expected once a speed of around 5 to 7 kph is reached, then it works fine.
This behavior appears to be exactly the same as the freezing issue I see with the Montana 700, and is repeatable every time I try it with the 276Cx.

Note also at the end of the video the position of the cursor/arrow shown by the 700, it's a custom arrow showing location at the very tip and is a considerable distance off the track I was on, which both the 276Cx and 600 showed correctly.
Unfortunately I did not save the tracks from the 3 devices while testing, but will do so next time testing is required.

Testing was done with the auto compass disabled and was done using the same method I've used for testing the Montana 700 in previous videos.
As previously seen with the 700, once the devices 'wake up' and start working as expected, they rotate around perfectly at low speeds.

I purchased this 276Cx as a manufacturer refurbished device in July 2019 from the U.S..
This is the second 276Cx I've purchased, the first one I purchased in 2018 and I ended up returning it because of what the local retailer believed was hardware issues.
The first 276Cx I purchased also had the same freezing behavior.

I first noticed this freezing issue with the 276Cx's, and now the Montana 700, the Montana 600 series seems unaffected by it.

Video link:

Thanks
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: 276Cx Map Rotation Freezing

Unread post by GPSrChive »

LostAgain,

Which firmware version was installed on each of those devices during that test?
ConiKost

Unread post by ConiKost »

I can reproduce that with my 276Cx, when driving very slowly. Firmware 5.70.
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
LostAgain

gpsrchive wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:54 pm LostAgain,

700 = 8.50
276CX = 5.50
610 = 3.50

Received this reply from Garmin earlier:
There is a pending software being implemented to resolve this. This is expected to be released late next month.
Seems they're working on a fix for the freezing of the 700 & 276CX and the guidance text issue for all three.
Now if only they can be convinced to 'finish' the 276CX it would be a pretty good device, it has by far the best display quality of all three.
There's a vehicle folder on the 276CX containing different vehicles but it cannot as yet handle .srf images so they can't be used.
In Map Setup on the Line tab there's a Heading Line that can be shown, puts a straight line out in front of the cursor which I find quite handy, works great in day mode but in night mode it's useless because it stays black and cannot be seen on a dark background.
I requested this be fixed years ago but it was apparently ignored, along with the request to enable .srf image usage.
I'm going to annoy them again about those things in the near future.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

LostAgain wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:41 pm
gpsrchive wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:54 pm LostAgain,

700 = 8.50
276CX = 5.50
610 = 3.50
Please retest the Montana 7x0 after installing firmware v9.20.
LostAgain

Garmin informed me the 9.20 update wouldn't fix the issue so I haven't worried about grabbing it, though I will do then test when I get the time.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

It has been suggested to me that 9.20 may actually help with your issue....
LostAgain

gpsrchive wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:12 am It has been suggested to me that 9.20 may actually help with your issue....
Tested with 9.20, no change it still freezes.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Thank you!

I will report this result to Garmin directly.
LostAgain

Issues with the screencapture function I discovered last night, setting it to On doesn't hold after a power down, needs to be turned on each time.
Screencapture of the map with overlay (corner data fields) doesn't show the data fields in the pic.
I needed the data fields shown in the below pic to help explain something and the pic is all I got unfortunately...the column data fields show up ok, wish I knew that at the time.

Also when it auto changed mode at sunset the settings page (double tap Menu) stayed mostly the blue daytime colour, though there was a combination of grey & blue on some of the screens.

Hopefully their decision to discontinue these doesn't mean the rotation freeze and other issues won't be fixed.
I see the Monatana 610 is also listed as discontinued now... :|

Return to “GPSMAP 276Cx”