Recording interval vs. 10Hz

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
SFP

Recording interval vs. 10Hz

Unread post by SFP »

Hi,

I'm using the Garmin GPSMAP 66ST (also) for recording downhill mtb-rides. I've set the recording interval for 1 second. Is there any way to achieve more frequent recording interval for my device?

Just thinking testing some of these 10Hz recorders just to see what's the difference (if any) on the tracks.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Recording interval vs. 10Hz

Unread post by GPSrChive »

To my knowledge, there are no Garmin handheld GPSr that can record track points or any other data faster than 1 Hz.

Recording at 1 Hz will result in a track point saved every 14 feet when moving at a speed of 10 mph.

How much variation can there be in your track log between two points 14 feet apart if you are moving at 10 mph?

Unread post by 987 »

Hi.
Some time ago (years), i made extesive testing on an earlier unit and recently tried the various settings on the 66st.
For my use, mostly hiking, driving, bicycling, but not so much MTB downhill and not so tricky courses, i can say the following.

On the GPSMAP 66st the auto logging with best/most frequent logging is better than logging every 2 seconds and uses less logpoints.
Setting logging to every 1 second mostly only fills up the log but does not bring more details (on older devicis it could exhaust the cpu making the unit non-responsive).
The error from the GPS position is often larger than the error one gets because of logging less than one point every one or two seconds.

While traveling slow, even if direction shifts a lot the logging is freqent enough to capture the changes.
While traveling fast, even if the logging is infrequent, the shift sidways is usually limited, hence the log is accurate anyway.

If yuo have a very precise and fast GPS, maybe logging more often than once per sec can be beneficial.

Unread post by 987 »

By the way,does anyone know how frequently
the 66s/st calculate its position?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

I suspect the 1Hz update rate is as fast as any need to operate since they do not log anything faster than that.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”