Route Point symbols are not displayed on Map [Bug 71]

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
ConiKost

Re: Route Point symbols are not displayed on Map [Bug 71]

Unread post by ConiKost »

Blue PIN still missing in firmware 10.50 :-(
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
ConiKost

It looks like, that this is not a bug, according to Garmin.
They replied and said, that this has been removed, as it was already in older firmware versions wrong to have a blue pin needle. They say, that by removing the pin needle, the Montana now behaves as other handset devices.

@gpsrchive: Since you have access to many other devices, can you confirm that other recent garmin devices also don't have any blue pin needle shown for via points in Routes from BaseCamp?
ConiKost

I also do have a question. Which options do I have, given, that Garmin won't bring back that symbol?
Look at those screenshots. Some Via Points belonging to route are really hard to distinguish from normal Waypoints.

The only difference is, that those Via Points belonging to a route have an extremly small square, which indicates that. This is very hard to see. I wish, I could change that somehow?

1.png
2.png
3.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Create a Custom Waypoint Symbol named 'Waypoint' and place in your Montana 7x0\Garmin\CustomSymbols\ directory.

See GPSrChive > How To... > Waypoints > Custom Waypoint Symbols for more information..
ConiKost

gpsrchive wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:49 pm Create a Custom Waypoint Symbol named 'Waypoint' and place in your Montana 7x0\Garmin\CustomSymbols\ directory.

See GPSrChive > How To... > Waypoints > Custom Waypoint Symbols for more information..
What should exactly happen? As you suggested, I put a Waypoint.bmp into X:\Garmin\CustomSymbols.
All Via Points and Waypoints are looking same as before.

If you mean, that I need now to assign that Symbol to all my Waypoints, that I don't think, that's a good idea, since so, I am not able to distinigish by symbol.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

OK, will take some testing to find which symbol they are using for via points. Look at a route GPX file in a text editor (we like notepad++) and see what symbol is specified?
ConiKost

gpsrchive wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:28 pm OK, will take some testing to find which symbol they are using for via points. Look at a route GPX file in a text editor (we like notepad++) and see what symbol is specified?
I am not sure, if I can follow. The symbols used by my Via Points and Waypoints are the default ones from BaseCamp. Basically, I have lot's of Waypoints in BaseCamp and use them inside my planed routes, when the become a Via Point in a route automatically once transfered to Montana from BaseCamp?

I don't wan't to change those symbols, like fuel, hotel, food etc. as I am fine with them. Basically, I would like to change that very smal square shown on Montana, but that one is not used in my BaseCamp, but "on top" added by Montana, where previously also a blue pin was additionally shown?

Maybe I am complelty wrong, but changing the symbol of a waypoint won't help, as once changed, it will be shown same for used as via point and regular waypoint shown?

So if I look into GPX for <sym>, for example, we have for "Grill [..]" used <sym>Restaurant</sym>.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

After further review, I believe I understand your position much better, and agree the 'Route Points' along the way with unique icons or symbols specified should be displayed using those symbols, not the little square.

I have sent Garmin Software engineers a detailed explanation with examples for consideration.

Ball is in their court....
ConiKost

gpsrchive wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:59 pm After further review, I believe I understand your position much better, and agree the 'Route Points' along the way with unique icons or symbols specified should be displayed using those symbols, not the little square.
Thank you!
But keep in mind, that the symbol is already being shown together with the little square "on top". So basically, the square should be replaced by something, which can be seen better in terms UI. I don't mind, if it's not a blue pin needle, but something, which is better to see than this small square.
ConiKost

Garmin replied and said, that this has been classified as a feature request :roll:
So it's unknown, whenever this will be done. Maybe never.

Return to “Montana 7x0”