GPSMAP 66st - Walk an uploaded track and log the walked track simultaneously

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
RC2

GPSMAP 66st - Walk an uploaded track and log the walked track simultaneously

Unread post by RC2 »

Hello everyone.
I have a garmin GPSMAP 66ST and would like to do the following.
I have created a route (breadcrumb trail) on the PC (as accurate as possible) that I would like to walk.
I will then upload this route (in GPX format) to my GPSMAP 66ST.
Since the route that was made on the PC, it will probably differ from the actual route at a number of waypoints in the field.
Therefore, I would like to simultaneously follow the route created on the PC and at the same time also log (in the background) the actually walked route. Ultimately, this will also have to be the final track.
Is that possible on the same ( simultaneously ) on the GPSMAP 66ST?
Which settings on the GPSMAP 66ST do you need for that?
Thanks a lot for tips.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: GPSMAP 66st - Walk an uploaded track and log the walked track simultaneously

Unread post by GPSrChive »

You didn't mention how the track was created on the computer, but ultimately it will not matter.

What is important to know is the GPSMAP 66 will not provide guided navigation of a track. You can simply watch the map and see if you are following it or off course.

Tracks can be converted into Routes for guided navigation on the GPSr using BaseCamp or other third party softtware.

Recording your actual path is as simple as making sure the Recording Controls are enabled and tracking at a user specified frequency.

When you get to the end of following the track, you will have your own tracklog to save in Recording Controls that can be used for future reference as desired.

This can be accomplished on any modern Garmin GPSr.

I have my GPSMAP 66 configured to automatically start tracking any time it is powered on, so I never fail to capture data because I forgot to enable it. You can then simply reset the tracklog recording to zero at the beginning of the track you are following, then save it at the end, and you will have what you are asking for with very little trouble.

For additional information, see:

GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Pages > Recording Controls

GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Pages > Saved Tracks

GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Pages > Where To?

GPSrChive > How To... > Tracks

GPSrChive > How To... > Navigation

GPSrChive > BaseCamp

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”