GPSMAP 66s Waypoints Not Displayed in BaseCamp

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
EnvTech

GPSMAP 66s Waypoints Not Displayed in BaseCamp

Unread post by EnvTech »

I'm regularly using a Garmin GPSMAP 66S for job sites and such, so I take alot of waypoints.
Recently i've started noticing that some waypoints were missing, but just 1 or 2 from a single day. I use Garmin Basecamp to transfer my waypoints. At first I wasn't sure if I was actually missing data, but then I noticed that there are gaps in the sequential numbers of the waypoints that are missing.

Today I was looking to transfer a set of waypoints from a recent job and I can see the points on my GPS, but not in Basecamp. Also, when I hover over the waypoints on my GPS (those missing in Basecamp) i can see the sequential number (that it should be if it existed) but if i click on the point, it shows me another number, seemingly another waypoint's data.

My GPS was on version 2.5 at the time of taking these points, I have since updated to 7.2.
But, considering this is problematic, i'm hoping they made a fix for this in the previous updates?
I'm looking for a bit of reassurance since I use this as a tool for my job.

Thanks
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: GPSMAP 66s Waypoints Not Displayed in BaseCamp

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Updating from firmware 2.50 to 7.20 is a huge jump, and a lot of issues have been addressed in that span.

Please retest with 7.20 (even better with 7.60) and update us on your findings.
EnvTech

Unread post by EnvTech »

After Updating to firmware 7.2 (the proposed latest update in Basecamp), I can report that I am still experiencing the issue with points that dissapear.

To clarify, the points do not disapear in Basecamp, they are simply not shown in basecamp, but they can However be seen on the GPS itself. However, even on the GPS it is as if the waypoint is populated with incorrect data (eg. Data from another waypoint).
EnvTech

Unread post by EnvTech »

Also, the issue has been observed on multiple units with various firmware versions (they are all now running 7.2).
GPSrChive
Site Admin

EnvTech,

Please provide screen captures from BaseCamp and the GPSr to clearly illustrate the behavior you are observing, so that others can attempt to duplicate it.

Thank you!
klymko

Unread post by klymko »

Was this issue ever resolved? I have the exact same issue happening with my GPSMAP 66s unit. I actually returned a nearly new version of this unit to Garmin for this reason. The replacement they provided does the same thing.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

No one provided enough information to determine what was really happening. Almost certainly this is a simple workflow issue. We do not have this issue with our GPSMAP 66.
klymko

Unread post by klymko »

Hi GPSrChive,

Sorry for the delay, I'm new to the forum and the notice about this message went to my junk mail. What do you mean by workflow issue?

I can provide more information about what happens with my device. In short, I go out for a day, make a track and take 50 waypoints. The track and waypoints are visible on the GPSMAP 66s screen. I use BaseCamp to export the tracks and waypoints from my GPS. The tracks export fine, but for the waypoints, I'm missing points 3-15, they just don't download. These missing points are visible on the GPSMAP 66s unit, but when I click on one in the map view of the 66s, it redirects me to a point that did download properly (e.g., I click on waypoint 14, and it brings up waypoint 16). The problem happens sporadically - I used the device two days this year and the issue only occurred on one day.

The only thing that I can think of is that I have a mini sd card in the unit with a base map. Could there be something about the base map file, or the card, that would cause this problem? I haven't tried removing the sd card, doing a factory reset, and then testing the unit again.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Please zip up the GPX folder on your GPSMAP and send to the address below.

Also include names of waypoints and issues observed, in detail.

Thank you!
Send Here

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”