My new 66sr

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: My new 66sr

Unread post by GPSrChive »

mimichris wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:29 am Hello,
If you put the screen to sleep, you have to turn it on again with the on / off button....
Yes, if 'Battery Save' is enabled, which turns the display off when the backlight times out, you have to use the power button to restore function, but...

If you do not use 'Battery Save', and simply let the backlight time out, it can be restored with the press of any button. While this will not conserve quite as much power as 'Battery Save' mode, the display backlight is the single largest power consumer on these devices, and the more time it is off, the longer the battery will last.

Of course, this all depends on when and where you are using the GPSr. If the device is going to be stored where buttons may be accidentally pressed, then you will want to use 'Battery Save', but when mounted securely, such as in this case, simply letting the backlight timeout may be sufficient.
0x01

Unread post by 0x01 »

@mimichris thanks for feedback. Preferences differ... :-) I put it to screen off mode only on hike. On bicycle I prefer screen always on because it is always in my sight in that case.
GPSMAP 65s | eTrex Legend HCx
mimichris

Unread post by mimichris »

Hello,
Today's hike of 2h30, the Galileo satellites flashed during these 2h30 of hike.
If I put the 66sr in multibandless mode, I have only one active Galileo satellite (which is also active in multiband) and the others are flashing, so in fact it is not the multiband which is the cause but the Sony chips .
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
pokyyy

Unread post by pokyyy »

mimichris wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:19 pm Hello,
Today's hike of 2h30, the Galileo satellites flashed during these 2h30 of hike.
If I put the 66sr in multibandless mode, I have only one active Galileo satellite (which is also active in multiband) and the others are flashing, so in fact it is not the multiband which is the cause but the Sony chips .
Is this the same problem as 65s? If yes, it must be the chip and not the device. Some major change in the firmware is going to be needed by Garmin.
mimichris

Yes, chips certainly, same problem as 65s, but Garmin does not move I have already written twice, they have received my email but do not respond.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Relax, I am certain Garmin is working on improving the performance if these totally new Multi-Band GPS units at this very moment.
remcomeeder

Unread post by remcomeeder »

What exactly is the issue with the Gallileo reception? The device seems to indeed have trouble using the data since the satellite numbers keep flashing.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

I don't think the 66sr (or 65) have any issues with the signals, as my 66sr is much more accurate than my 66s or 66i. I think it is simply a UI issue.
mimichris

Hello,
I asked my friend who also has the 66sr if his Galileo satellites are still flashing, he told me no, they are now fixed all the time. I will return my 66sr under warranty, but I doubt that it will work because Garmin exchanges with refurbished and not with new ones therefore more recent.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

@mimichris:

On your 66sr, in Setup > About, does CPE show current or expired?

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”