My new 66sr

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
mimichris

My new 66sr

Unread post by mimichris »

Hello,
I sold my 65s and bought a 66sr, but sometimes I have the same problem with Galileo flashing, today I did 44km on an electric mountain bike in just over 2h, when I left the Galileo satellites flashing , when I got home, they were still blinking. I did the autolocate manipulation, I have fewer satellites, but three out of four Galileos are no longer flashing. I think the EPO or CPE file updated with Garmin Connect gives more satellites but Galileo is flashing. What do you weigh?

Garmin has not changed the mode of restarting the screen after a standby, you must always press the power button, although it could have done as on the 64/65 series with the touch pad.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: My new 66sr

Unread post by GPSrChive »

mimichris wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:48 pm Hello, I sold my 65s and bought a 66sr...
Excellent choice! The 66sr currently out performs the 65, and has many additional features.

mimichris wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:48 pm ...but sometimes I have the same problem with Galileo flashing, today I did 44km on an electric mountain bike in just over 2h, when I left the Galileo satellites flashing , when I got home, they were still blinking. I did the autolocate manipulation, I have fewer satellites, but three out of four Galileos are no longer flashing. I think the EPO or CPE file updated with Garmin Connect gives more satellites but Galileo is flashing. What do you weigh?
Sounds like GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66sr > Common Issues > Bug #28

The 66sr uses CPE, which is similar to EPO.

Was your CPE 'Current'? See Setup > About on the device to find out....

mimichris wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:48 pm Garmin has not changed the mode of restarting the screen after a standby, you must always press the power button, although it could have done as on the 64/65 series with the touch pad.
Garmin will not change this. The current behavior is far superior to the older models. Anyone who carries their GPSr in a bag or in close proximity to other devices will understand why.
mimichris

By bike to avoid pressing the on / off button and to avoid breaking my face, I leave the screen lit at 10% brightness and after two hours of operation only 15% of the battery is missing no problem when it can be recharged every day.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

You can set the screen to whatever brightness you need, and configure Setup > Display > Backlight Timeout for a reasonable period of time, and press any button to restore the backlight after it has timed out. Might use even less battery.
pokyyy

Unread post by pokyyy »

mimichris wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:48 pm Hello,
I sold my 65s and bought a 66sr, but sometimes I have the same problem with Galileo flashing, today I did 44km on an electric mountain bike in just over 2h, when I left the Galileo satellites flashing , when I got home, they were still blinking. I did the autolocate manipulation, I have fewer satellites, but three out of four Galileos are no longer flashing. I think the EPO or CPE file updated with Garmin Connect gives more satellites but Galileo is flashing. What do you weigh?
So do you think 66sr is better than 65s? is it quicker and smoother to operate? Is the screen a lot better than 65s?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

For me there is absolutely no question when it comes to GPSMAP 65 vs GPSMAP 66sr. The GPSMAP 66sr will always be the better choice for those who can afford it. The 66sr display is considerably more detailed than the 65, has many additional features I do not want to be without, and the 66sr does not exhibit the same strange GPS signal loss as the 65 when held horizontally (parallel to the ground).

GPSMAP 66sr FTW (for the win) every time.
mimichris

pokyyy wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:36 pm
So do you think 66sr is better than 65s? is it quicker and smoother to operate? Is the screen a lot better than 65s?
Hello,
Yes, of course, its screen has nothing to do with the 65s, the 65s is a 64s with just multi-band.
The 66sr has a very nice and big screen with a high definition, I made a big mistake to buy a 65s which was indeed cheaper but I lost 50 € ($ 60) by selling it, no big deal ... .
The 66sr allows you to connect to IQ Garmin then to Wikiloc, so when you have done a hike, when you save it it immediately appears in Wikiloc, if you choose a hike on Wikiloc, you send it directly to the 66sr, it is fully compatible with Garmin Connect. We can add widgets and applications for those who are interested. Small disadvantage it is not very practical by bike, for the bike I have two Twonavs, a Trail2 and a Cross, I am a GPS enthusiast and for many years, since my first GPS38 in 1996.
pokyyy

Unread post by pokyyy »

Thanks for the insight.

I am not a GPS enthusiast and would only use a GPS for semi emergency situations when I cannot use the paper map. It is purely for navigation in difficult terrain/bad weather. That is why I can't decide between 65s and 66sr; I won't be using all the features of 66sr (or even 65s) but reliability is important to me. I wouldn't hesitate on 66sr if it used the standard AA batteries- that is just my preference.
0x01

Unread post by 0x01 »

mimichris wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:42 am Small disadvantage it is not very practical by bike, for the bike I have two Twonavs, a Trail2 and a Cross
You have who-of-who of bike GPS. Can you give small more detail why you think the 66sr is less practical by bike? Does this also hold against the 65s? I use my GPS on bike and hike, too.
Add-on question to avoid misunderstanding: you mean motorbike or bicycle?
GPSMAP 65s | eTrex Legend HCx
mimichris

Hello,
If you put the screen to sleep, you have to turn it on again with the on / off button and it is not easy to reach when you are driving, well for me who am not too agile considering my age, on the 65s it is enough to press the touch pad (which is easier to access when you are riding) so that the screen turns on again, but it has the disadvantage that when you have it in your pocket it can also do anything since the keys in this case are active.

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”