GPSMAP 65s or 66sr

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 65 series GPSr
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: GPSMAP 65s or 66sr

Unread post by GPSrChive »

ivhs72 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:02 am Your mileage may vary from mine. My comments are based on my experiences of using Garmin GPSr models over the past 14 years.
Garmin have only been producing GPSMAP devices with internal batteries for a little under 3 years now, so most of your 14 years of experience is not applicable to these models.

I would even go so far as to suggest that most of your 14 years experience would not be applicable to any modern Garmin GPSr that uses AA batteries either. Not only has battery technology come a long way, the electronics they power have become exponentially faster and far more energy efficient during that same time period.

Comparing battery run times between a 10 year old device and a modern device, each with time period correct batteries installed, would be like comparing apples with jellyfish. Pointless.

Do not allow your preconceived notions (and experience) to prevent you from enjoying all that modern technology has to offer.

:D
mimichris

Unread post by mimichris »

I've had a lot of Garmin GPS since 1996 (14 models in all) and the penultimate one was a 66s with AA batteries, I tried different brands but none satisfied me and didn't last very long, from Eneloop 1900mAh and 2400mAh, Powerex 2700mAh and they didn't last very long even in energy saving mode, if I hiked over two days, I had to change them once a day to not last the next day.
Since I got the 66sr I don't need to charge it every day, OK now I'm old and I don't do long hikes anymore, but I see that the Li-ion battery can last a lot longer than good quality AA and I'm happy with it.
I've always wondered why Garmin, apart from one or two models, has never equipped its GPS units with Li-ion batteries.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
pokyyy

Unread post by pokyyy »

Li-ion wins hands down, no doubt. The dilemma most people have been facing is to choose between easily changeable AA batteries and "fixed" Li-ion batteries that cannot be changed easily. Most also don't want to carry a power bank. If Garmin wants to be the total winner, they will have to move to an easily removable rechargeable Li-ion that can be charged in and out of the unit. My 2 cents...
0x01

Unread post by 0x01 »

If you're outdoors for multiple days, AA batteries stay the best. As per my experience with smartphones it is hardly possible to recharge lithium batteries when temperature drops below 10°C (50°F). Means, carrying a powerbank to recharge over night in a tent may not work as expected.
GPSMAP 65s | eTrex Legend HCx
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

0x01 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:23 pm As per my experience with smartphones it is hardly possible to recharge lithium batteries when temperature drops below 10°C (50°F).
I am not certain comparing a Garmin GPSr to a smartphone can be considered entirely conclusive.

Garmin specifications indicate the 66i and 66sr have an operating temperature range of -4° to 140°F (-20° to 60°C), and a charging temperature range of 32° to 104°F (0° to 40°C).

Perhaps some GPSrChive readers currently in climates that get below this temperature range can do some charging tests to see at which temperature they actually stop charging?
pokyyy

Unread post by pokyyy »

I would never want a unit that I would have to charge on the go. The places I take my unit to, charging on the go is not an option. Admittedly, changing the batteries in poor conditions is not an easy task either but at least it can be done.

I read somewhere rechargeable Li-ion AA batteries are difficult to produce. Maybe that will be the best option when the reputable brands start producing them.

Satmap has come up with an easily removable rechargeable Li-ion battery although it falls short in other areas when compared to Garmin which makes Garmin still the best choice for me. I hope Garmin follows the same for its future models.
mimichris

A Chinese brand manufactures an AA size Li-ion battery but does not have a large capacity, because a Li-ion battery is 4.2v charged, or a NiMh AA battery is 1.4v charged, so you need an electronic system that lowers this voltage and wastes space in the battery and requires a special charger.
I looked at the Satmap Activ 20 brand of GPS, their battery is 5000mAh and only lasts 16 hours, Garmin the battery is 3100mAh and lasts 30h.
The Garmin Montana is the only Garmin to receive a Li-ion battery and NiMh batteries.
mimichris

pokyyy

Unread post by pokyyy »

mimichris wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:44 am
...I looked at the Satmap Activ 20 brand of GPS, their battery is 5000mAh and only lasts 16 hours, Garmin the battery is 3100mAh and lasts 30h.
I know, their screen is bright and HD so must be consuming a huge amount of power. They are also heavy and bulky with the operating temperature being above +5 C.
They have some of the ideas right but just no good for my purpose. I need something light and to be functional in sub zero conditions.
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

The permanent battery is only in devices with a large display and the additional function of Multi Band or IR, which are in the 66SR or 66i. Maybe the consumption of more energy in these devices eliminates AA batteries?

I was torturing my 66sr with all the functions turned on, which draw a lot of energy. Navigation, recording, wifi, BT, flashlight once in a while. The battery lasted 19 hours. I connected the charging to a 10,200 mwh power bank. I had 50% charge after 30 minutes, it needed another 90 minutes to reach 100%.
With normal use, the battery should easily withstand at least two days of travel.

Return to “GPSMAP 65”