GPSMAP 65s or 66sr

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 65 series GPSr
ivhs72

Re: GPSMAP 65s or 66sr

Unread post by ivhs72 »

GPSrChive wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:02 pm
ivhs72 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:01 pm The geocaching app was not fully integrated, you have to switch between it and maps.
This statement puzzles me.

The Geocaching page has always included a dedicated Map Tab that can be used in addition to the standard Map page.

Why were you 'having to switch between the Geocaching page and the Map page'?
When I first got this, you had to go to the geocaching app to select the cache you want to find. To navigate to it, you had to exit the geocaching app and go to the map app. If you wanted to look at hints or previous logs you had to exit the map and go to the geocaching app. This was back in 2018 when it first came out, they may have updated it since then. I went back an looked at my posts from when I first got it and the problems I had. I remember that live geocaching presented some issues as well.

Here is my log from May 13, 2019:

"So I took my 66s along on my mini-geo roadtrip last week, and it worked pretty good. I had loaded it with my usual pocket queries (that was another adventure, covered in other topics on this forum), and it worked quite well. It did show the caches I had loaded, it did give all the information for them, and the accuracy was pretty spot on as well. The only thing that I didn't like was having to switch between the geocaching app and the map app. I would use the map app to get to the cache but it I wanted to read the description or the hint, or to log it, I had to switch back the geocaching app. I know this has already been submitted to Garmin, but the 3.0 update did not correct that. It also worked well when selecting the next closest geocache (previously when I tried that, it would not display the map at all, but just a white screen). Updates to the map display when zooming in/out seem to be faster with the latest update. So a lot more progress on the geocaching front. It would be nice if the loading waypoints, etc. problem could be resolved, or at least a work around for it."
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

ewald.gruen wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:56 pm According to a German YouTube video, route planning is around 50% slower than with the 65.

41 s vs. 26 s for a 11 km hike.
Interesting!

That was from 2021, so a few firmware versions back.

I just tested multiple routing calculations to a waypoint about 4.5 miles away as the crow flies, about 12 miles actual travel distance.

Both my 65s and 66sr had identical maps and identical routing options configured.

In each test, selecting 'Motorcycle', 'Cycling', or 'Pedestrian' routing with 'Shortest Time' always resulted in the 66sr being about 2-5 seconds slower, which is a substantial improvement over the video you shared.

So I guess, the answer to your question is 'Yes', but just barely.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

ivhs72 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:00 pm When I first got this, you had to go to the geocaching app to select the cache you want to find.
There have always been multiple methods the user can employ to select a geocache and navigate to it.

From GPSrChive > How To... > Navigation > Navigating to a geocache:

1. Press (Find) or open 'Where To?' page and select desired Geocache, or
2. Open 'Geocaching' page and select desired Geocache, or
3. Open 'Map' page and select desired Geocache

These are just the three most common methods. There are many other places within the User Interface that navigation to a geocache can begin. Never has this been limited to only the Geocaching page.

ivhs72 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:00 pm To navigate to it, you had to exit the geocaching app and go to the map app.
Again, this is not accurate. There are multiple pages the user can use to 'navigate to a geocache'. Some examples might include the (1) Geocaches page Map Tab, the (2) Map page, the (3) Compass page, or even the (4) Active Route page. I have even heard some users prefer to use the (5) Satellite page when navigating to geocaches.

The user has never 'had to exit the geocache app and go to the map app' to navigate to a Geocache.

ivhs72 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:00 pm If you wanted to look at hints or previous logs you had to exit the map and go to the geocaching app.
Only partially correct. For Geocache Hints, you must first be navigating to the desired geocache and then you will have the option to view the hint only from the Geocaching page. However, Geocache details including their Descriptions, Difficulty, Terrain, Size and Previous Logs have always been available by selecting any geocache from the Map page or Geocaching page.

See GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Pages > Geocaching for details and examples.

ivhs72 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:00 pm This was back in 2018 when it first came out, they may have updated it since then.
Ahh yes, they certainly have!

According to the GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Firmware page, the very first units distributed in Q4 of 2018 were loaded with firmware version 2.10. As of the time of this post, there have been 18 new firmware updates published, almost all of which included new features and/or device improvements.

Out of curiosity, I checked the dates for some of the screen captures used to create the GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Pages > Geocaching page, and found a majority of them pre-date the public release for this product (we had access to an early production test and evaluation unit).

Fun Fact: The original GPSMAP 66 series operating system was copied from the Oregon 7x0 before tweaking and adjusting the code as necessary to enable operation with the 'new' push-button only non-touchscreen hardware. Many of those Oregon 7x0 remnants still exist in the GPSMAP 66 code today.

When first released, the GPSMAP 66 was capable of doing everything the Oregon 7x0 could do, and more.

Also, the GPSMAP 66i and GPSMAP 66sr both received a processor performance boost only possible with the internal lithium battery.
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

I'm not wanting to argue, only relating my real world experiences with the 66. It was a very frustrating experience for me, which is why I got a 65 which I continue to use. If you look at my entries in the forum from 2018/2019, there are multiple posts describing what I was doing. The map issue I mention you responded to my posting:

"We are still trying to get Garmin to add a link directly to geocaching page in the map and compass pages when the current destination is a geocache. (see GPSMAP 66 > Common Issues > Missing Features > #4)"

It looks like it was resolved in 3.20 update, but I had already returned the device by then. Looking back I can see where I also had problems with loading pocket queries, and getting a blank page when I looked at cache details. Like I say, it's water under the bridge.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Yes, all water under the bridge!

New (and current) users should understand that modern Garmin GPSr often have multiple methods that can be used to accomplish similar tasks, so if what you are trying is not working, or you think it could be easier, just ask here and someone will help you!
ewald.gruen

Unread post by ewald.gruen »

Is there a speed difference between the 65s and 66sr when getting a GPS fix with a missing/outdated CPE file?

Is there a way to overlay the GPS accuracy on the 66sr without having to waste huge amounts of the screen?

Does the 65s still have the '2 Small Data Fields' dashboard option?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

ewald.gruen wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:16 pm Is there a speed difference between the 65s and 66sr when getting a GPS fix with a missing/outdated CPE file?
As they both use the same GNSS chipset, which performs all of it own processing, the only limitation here might be the less powerful AA batteries in the 65s, otherwise I would expect them to be quite similar.

ewald.gruen wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:16 pm Is there a way to overlay the GPS accuracy on the 66sr without having to waste huge amounts of the screen?
Without going into a 20 page discussion and argument, the number on the Satellite page that everyone describes as GPS Accuracy is not so much an 'accuracy' value so much as it is a 'precision' value. I am not aware of this value being available to display anywhere other than the Satellite page and/or Satellite dashboard.

ewald.gruen wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:16 pm Does the 65s still have the '2 Small Data Fields' dashboard option?
No modern Garmin GPSr has this option.
ewald.gruen

GPSrChive wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:03 pm the number on the Satellite page that everyone describes as GPS Accuracy is not so much an 'accuracy' value so much as it is a 'precision' value.
Yes, but the device itself calls the data field "GPS accuracy" nonetheless.
GPSrChive wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:03 pmNo modern Garmin GPSr has this option.
That does not seem to be true, see:

garmin_data_fields_65s_vs_66sr.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

ewald.gruen wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:39 pm That does not seem to be true, see:
Well, would you look at that! Shows you how much I use my 65s.

This is an excellent example of how 'modern' the 65s is, as it is based on the 64 series before it, which was based on the 62 series before that, some 12 years ago! In all reality, the 64 was barely a step up from the 62, and the 65 is just a 64 with Multi-Band added.

So, why are you asking questions you already have the answers to?
ewald.gruen

GPSrChive wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:40 pmThis is an excellent example of how 'modern' the 65s is
Rather one of apparently not so few examples of why it is difficult for me (and probably not only for me) to decide between the 65s and the 66sr.
GPSrChive wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:40 pm So, why are you asking questions you already have the answers to?
Because I didn't find the answer until shortly after I asked my question ... and I am not able to edit my posts while they're waiting for a moderator to approve.

Return to “GPSMAP 65”