GPSMAP 65s or 66sr

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 65 series GPSr
ivhs72

Re: GPSMAP 65s or 66sr

Unread post by ivhs72 »

Well, I read the manual on the 66 series, and it turns out the batteries cannot be replaced, even though the manual says it can. So I ordered one, and found out it cannot be. Very disappointed that they didn't update the manual for the 66sr, even though they did for adding the external memory.
mimichris

Unread post by mimichris »

It is easy to take a power bank with you to possibly recharge it, in any case having had a 66s I find that the Li-ion battery of the 66sr is a good thing in terms of autonomy. Of course, I don't hike for several days, but if I did I would take my 20,000mAh power bank, enough to recharge it at least five times.
In terms of weight, it's true that carrying a power bank is heavy, but I'm sure that carrying sets of batteries or NiMh batteries for several days is almost as heavy.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

I'm not sure how big a portable power supply is that you're referring to, but I do carry a couple of sets of rechargeable batteries with me, AA sized. It's quick swap in the field to change them. I'm using mine for geocaching mostly, a couple of sets of batteries aren't an issue. The problem I have with Garmin's rechargeable batteries is it takes so long to recharge them. I've had both a 65 and 66 and it took hours to recharge the ones that they sell. Easier to just swap them. I'm guessing that it takes so long is to limit the amount of heat that the recharging process can generate. Only guessing.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

ivhs72 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:26 pm The problem I have with Garmin's rechargeable batteries is it takes so long to recharge them. I've had both a 65 and 66 and it took hours to recharge the ones that they sell.
How many hours do you sleep during any given 24 hour period?

That is the time to top off the battery in your GPSr.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

ivhs72 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:26 pm I'm not sure how big a portable power supply is that you're referring to, but I do carry a couple of sets of rechargeable batteries with me, AA sized.
About the same size s those sets if AA.

See the GPSrChive Store to view several options.
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

The problem with recharging is long hikes while geocaching the batteries will run down, so extra batteries are a must. Having it hooked up to an external battery pack while in use doesn't make sense, at least to me. I'd be interested in see what model of battery back you mention, it might be an option for some of my other portable devices.
KiwiGPS

Unread post by KiwiGPS »

ivhs72 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:28 pm Well, I read the manual on the 66 series, and it turns out the batteries cannot be replaced, even though the manual says it can.
There's a article here about how to change the battery on a 66i or 66sr: https://www.gpsrchive.com/Discussion/vi ... php?t=1824

The outdoorkompetenz.com page is written in German so I used Chrome to opened it and used the Translate to English feature.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

ivhs72 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:07 pm The problem with recharging is long hikes while geocaching the batteries will run down, so extra batteries are a must.
How long are your geocaching hikes?

We have never experienced a drained battery before or after a full day of caching, ever.

Even in our worst case testing scenario (see: GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66sr > Operation > Power Supply > Battery Test), which had the backlight on @ 100% brightness full time, the GPSMAP 66sr still provided better than 15 hours of run time.

If anyone is experiencing run times shorter than this, they have some device settings that need to be corrected.

There is just no reason a GPSMAP 66sr user can not get a minimum of two days use between charging cycles.

ivhs72 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:07 pm Having it hooked up to an external battery pack while in use doesn't make sense, at least to me.
I agree, and fortunately, this simply isn't necessary.

ivhs72 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:07 pm I'd be interested in see what model of battery back you mention, it might be an option for some of my other portable devices.
Check the 'Off Grid' section for your desired GPSr model at the GPSrChive Store.
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

KiwiGPS wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 pm
ivhs72 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:28 pm Well, I read the manual on the 66 series, and it turns out the batteries cannot be replaced, even though the manual says it can.
There's a article here about how to change the battery on a 66i or 66sr: https://www.gpsrchive.com/Discussion/vi ... php?t=1824

The outdoorkompetenz.com page is written in German so I used Chrome to opened it and used the Translate to English feature.
The process here doesn't really help if you're needing to change one during daily use. There is a difference between the 66i and 66sr. It is possible to replace the 66/66s/66st battery packs with AA batteries. The 66sr cannot, since the back of the unit cannot be removed. I've owned both.
Last edited by ivhs72 on Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

gpsrchive wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:08 pm We have never experienced a drained battery before or after a full day of caching, ever.

Even in our worst case testing scenario (see: GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66sr > Operation > Power Supply > Battery Test), which had the backlight on @ 100% brightness full time, the GPSMAP 66sr still provided better than 15 hours of run time.

If anyone is experiencing run times shorter than this, they have some device settings that need to be corrected.

There is just no reason a GPSMAP 66sr user can not get a minimum of two days use between charging cycles.
Your mileage may vary from mine. My comments are based on my experiences of using Garmin GPSr models over the past 14 years.

Return to “GPSMAP 65”