GPSMAP 65s or 66sr

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 65 series GPSr
pokyyy

GPSMAP 65s or 66sr

Unread post by pokyyy »

I had lots of problems with 66i so much so that I sent it back and got a refund eventually.

I am now thinking of getting either 65s or 66sr but reading some of the posts here make me concerned to purchase either. So I think I will go with the 65s as it is cheaper and has all the functions I need plus that the battery is replaceable. However, I am not sure what the screen resolution is like when an Ordnance Survey map is viewed on it. Does anyone have the photos of the same map region on both devices? Is the screen on 65s sufficient?

Thanks
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: GPSMAP 65s or 66sr

Unread post by GPSrChive »

I would never choose the 65 over the 66sr for many reasons, including the superior screen resolution and other features the 65 simply does not offer. I have both. The 65 is used only for GPSrChive research purposes, while the 66sr goes everywhere with me.
pokyyy

Unread post by pokyyy »

Oh really? I was under the impression that using it purely for route finding or when lost 65s was good enough. I am not looking for the advanced features (weather, connect IQ etc) but I want it to be reliable when I need it. I know the screen on 65s is lower resolution but is it very poor compared to 66sr?

My other concern about 66sr is the inbuilt battery. I know this has been discussed just about everywhere I read about and the opinions are always split. The socket for the micro USB on 66i was very flimsy (I suspect the same with 66sr) and I do worry that if I keep using it to charge the unit, it will be the socket rather than the battery that will be a problem.
0x01

Unread post by 0x01 »

I was in same decision, it's about your use case.
For me the AA batteries were mandatory: I use it in multi-day/week trips without or limited grid power. I don't want to mind about recharge occasions.

I work with paper map, smartphone and Garmin for trip planning.
Paper map gives you unparalleled overview.
Smartphone with OSMAnd gives you a very good compromise between overview and details.
Garmin gives you great battery lifetime in local detailed navigation.

To get a bigger overview on the 65s is less fun due to screen size and limited pixels. (I have no experience for 66sr)
If you know eTrex: 65s gives you same screen experience.
GPSMAP 65s | eTrex Legend HCx
GPSrChive
Site Admin

0x01 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:49 pm If you know eTrex: 65s gives you same screen experience.
GPSMAP 62/64/65 display resolution is identical to the eTrex Touch, which has only 1/2 the pixels of the eTrex x0x and x2x, while the GPSMAP 66 includes another 20% boost in pixels over those.
pokyyy

Unread post by pokyyy »

Thank you.
It is a real shame that Garmin pushes you to compromise. If only 66sr used removable batteries, I would not hesitate.
There is no doubt that 66sr will be of better resolution (my previous 66i was very good in that respect) but 65s should be good enough for my purpose as I usually use the OS paper map for planning and navigation. A reliable GPS will be for for when things get really bad.

With regards to the size, is 65s identical to 64? I am looking to get a silicone case for it but they all seem to be for 64.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Same size, yes, more or less, but not the same shape...
pokyyy

Unread post by pokyyy »

Based on what I have read so far, it appears that 65s has more problems than 66sr.

It seems that if the unit is not right out of the box, the issues will never get resolved. It will be the decision between keeping it and accepting the bugs or getting another model of GPS.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

This is par for the course with new Garmin products. Most bugs will eventually be resolved, and most devices are ~95% reliable after a couple years of updates.
MattF

Unread post by MattF »

pokyyy wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:07 pm
My other concern about 66sr is the inbuilt battery. I know this has been discussed just about everywhere I read about and the opinions are always split. The socket for the micro USB on 66i was very flimsy (I suspect the same with 66sr) and I do worry that if I keep using it to charge the unit, it will be the socket rather than the battery that will be a problem.
Bit late response but -
The 66i and the 66sr can both use the 'Garmin powered mount' - this charges the unit via a couple of contacts on the bottom of the case - saves wearing out the USB socket.

Return to “GPSMAP 65”