GPSMap66st with repeated "Updating GPS Firmware" message

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
Artai

GPSMap66st with repeated "Updating GPS Firmware" message

Unread post by Artai »

G'day Folks,

My GPSMap 66st has suddenly become non-functional with the message "Updating GPS firmware" and going 0% then 1% (see attached screenshot) and the message disappearing and no GPS function.

This possibly *may* have happened due to batteries going flat as I know I didn't shut it down the day before this was identified. Batteries used are NiMH which are removed and recharged externally.

I have tried updating via BaseCamp, Garmin Express and Web Updater but to no avail. I have deleted some files such as GarminDevice.xml and 006B331300.GCD off the unit to try to get the software to fully reinstall but again to no avail.

I have searched the web and found references to this issue in some Garmin products from 10 years ago but nothing recent.

System was at version 7.20 (current) prior to problem appearing but there does not seem to be a recognized way to do a complete reinstall of all software or a complete system delete and reboot.

Has anyone seen this before and/or have any thoughts for a resolution?

Thanks

Arthur

941.bmp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: GPSMap66st with repeated "Updating GPS Firmware" message

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Connect in Mass Storage Mode.

Delete or Rename the 'Garmin\RemoteSW' folder.

Load an earlier version GCD file (such as v4.20 from the GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Firmware page) into the Garmin Directory and rename it 'gupdate.gcd'

Safely eject the GPSMAP 66 and restart the device.

Result?
Artai

Unread post by Artai »

G'Day Admin,

Thanks for pointing me to the resources on the Firmware page. I followed your procedure without success.

I have tried all of the other recovery methods including RGN but to no avail.

The About page on the unit is showing that the GPS Software Version is 0.00 (see attached screenshot) no matter what version I install.

Are there any other options apart from sending the unit back to Garmin?

Thanks

Arthur

GPSMap66_Version.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

There are still a few things we can try before sending it to Garmin.

I might try loading a much earlier firmware version (as suggested prior), then load a newer version.

Also, after loading an older firmware version and older GPS software version (details on GPSAMAP 66 > Firmware page), allow Garmin express to perform update again.

You state the RGN method has been attempted but has not helped, which makes sense as it only loads the device firmware, not GPS software.

I did have a GPSMAP 64 that did this once and I thought for sure it was a bricked, but eventually I did get it recovered after multiple attempts similar to these.
Artai

Unread post by Artai »

Hi Admin,

You are a legend!

I went right back to V2.50 and after I loaded it the GPS version then wasn't 0.00 anymore (I hadn't gone back that far before). I then reloaded V7.20 and it has returned to receiving the GPS data with the the Software version at 7.20 and the GPS Software Version at 2.80.

Thanks for you help. Very much appreciated.

Arthur
DDM

Unread post by DDM »

Contacted Garmin.... the only solution.... exchange at 128€. My reply is here:
English wrote: Hello,
Thank you for your offer. Nevertheless, I must make the following observations to you:
This is indeed a bug with you. You update bugs that are out of the warranty period ..... and there are still a lot of them. Honestly a shame this device. Unworthy of the Garmin name.
On GPSrChive I found a solution .... to be read by your service. Remove the batteries for at least 15 hours and restart with a hard reset (catre sd removed) and .... the gps resets 2.80 as Gps soft.

Hoping to have been of service for another client and to have saved 128 €
Yours truly
Daniel
French wrote: Bonjour,
Merci pour votre offre. Néansmoins je doit vous faire les observatioins suivantes:
Il s'agit bien d'un bug chez vous. Vous faites des corrections par mise à jour des bugs qui datent du période de la garantie..... et il y a en encore beaucoup. Honnètement une honte cette appareil. Indigne du nom Garmin.
Sur Gpsarchive j'ai trouver une solution.... à lire par votre service. Enlever les piles pendant au moins 15 heures et redémarrer avec un hard reset (catre sd enlevée) et .... le gps remets 2.80 comme Gps soft.

En espérant d'avoir être de service pour un autre client et d'avoir économiser 128€
Bien à vous
Daniel
kampy

Unread post by kampy »

I had a similar problem at the end of summer. I tried to reanimate with various software ways, but nothing helped. The warranty is over. I tried to give it to a local workshop, but they could not help. All the same, then I wrote to the German Garmin, as a description of the problem I referred to this topic. To my surprise, I was not asked additional questions, but was immediately billed for 0 euros to replace my device with a refurbished one. Another month my device reached Germany, from where it was sent to Garmin and it really sent a free replacement. Perhaps the device is restored, but the case is clearly new. It was all quite unusual and pleasant. Thanks to the German branch of Garmin.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”