Map Issue TOPO GB [Bug 21]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 65 series GPSr
Patto01

Map Issue TOPO GB [Bug 21]

Unread post by Patto01 »

My mapping isn’t displaying properly. I have a TOPO GB Pro 1:25 card. When I zoom in at 5k it switches to OS mapping. This works on the northwest, north Scotland and east England tiles but not on the wales/west England or southern Scotland tiles. Works fine in base camp and if I switch the card to another device, etrex20x it works fine, but not on this device, which is less than a month old.
GaryLov

Re: Map Issue TOPO GB [Bug 21]

Unread post by GaryLov »

Hi @patto01,

I have recently bought a 65S, and separately the TOPO PRO 1:25 card. I have experienced exactly the same issue. It's a real pain for me because the boundary between East and West England tiles is only a couple of miles from our house. Did you reach any resolution?

Gary
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Since I do not have the map card you reference for testing, please clarify, that part of the map does not properly switch to OS mapping at specific zoom levels like the remainder of the map does?

This only occurs when installed in the GPSMAP 65, other GPSr and BaseCamp properly switch to OS mapping at the specified zoom levels for all parts of the map?

What version is the Topo GB map? (Setup > Map > Map Information)

Screen captures would be helpful.

Thank You!
GaryLov

Unread post by GaryLov »

The TOPO PRO maps are labelled V2 on the package, but Basecamp reports each tile as being v3.00. All maps display fine in Basecamp when the 65S is connected via USB. However the 65S resolutely refuses to display any tile other than East England and North England. There's a sharp cutoff at the tile edge with one side of the screen showing OS content, the other reverting to the built-in TOP Active, as below:

East+WestEngland.jpg
Chester.jpg
Kelso.jpg

Gary
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Thank you!

I also need to know the firmware version of the GPSMAP 65.
GaryLov

Unread post by GaryLov »

Here is the About page:
Setup About.png

Gary
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GaryLov

Unread post by GaryLov »

Incidentally, Setup Map, Map Info doesn't list any version info for the OS map tiles, it just shows the names. The only options on this page are Enable/Disable. That's why I quoted the versions shown by Basecamp in my earlier post.
Setup Map Info1.png
Setup Map Info2.png
Setup Map Info3.png
Setup Map Info4.png
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Thank you for the additional screen captures!

We have forwarded this information directly to Garmin software engineers.

Now we wait....
GaryLov

Unread post by GaryLov »

FYI,

After my original post, I had an online chat with Garmin Support. They have opened a ticket on this issue and requested further info and data via e-mail so that they can explore in more detail next week. I sent all of that to them yesterday. Their e-mails have included the following tokens in the subject line, I presume one of these is support ticket number:
<< Ref:19760491K1 >> <Q#:1007700>. I will post here if there is further contact with them.

Thanks

Gary
Last edited by GaryLov on Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
GaryLov

Unread post by GaryLov »

I've had prolonged discussion with both Garmin UK Support and GPS Training (who supplied the 65S, but not the map card). This is a known issue affecting the 65 Series. Different people experience a slightly different set of tiles that will or will not work. Garmin UK in Southampton have taken in one of GPST's 65 units for investigation. As the problem only affects the 65 series, any fix will require a new firmware version created by their developers in the US. Nobody can offer any timescale for such a fix. Both organisations have me on a mailing list to be contacted if there are any developments.

Gary
Last edited by GaryLov on Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “GPSMAP 65”