GPSMAP65s - Galileo Satellites Flashing [Bug 8]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 65 series GPSr
mimichris

Re: GPSMAP65s - Galileo Satellites Flashing [Bug 8]

Unread post by mimichris »

Hello,
On my multiband smartphone, the Galileo satellites are available as soon as the software is started, I use GalileoPVT on Android and I have 8 visible satellites and 7 usable with a PDOP of 1.87, whose C / NO is between 20 and 30 dBHz. I do not see why Garmin cannot receive these satellites which are taken into account by the GPS. I conclude that Garmin does have a problem with its GPS chips.

On my 66sr it takes over an hour of operation for the Galileo to display two or even three usable fixed satellites. It should be the same on the 65s.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
mrfreeze

Unread post by mrfreeze »

pokyyy wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:13 pm
Of course Garmin should give a hint if that's really a feature. Like a message in the display with the Galileo or Glonas satellites. Or it's a bug and they have to change that behavior.
That would be ideal but I doubt Garmin would do it.

If the best accuracy is 1.8m regardless of whichever satellite, I will be happy with that. I read somewhere that the accuracy could be as good as 1m but I don't know if that has been verified or any statement released by Garmin with regards to that.
I haven't seen a better accuracy than 1.8m yet. Even with EGNOS available. Is here anyone who has seen a better accuracy on the 65s?
mrfreeze

mimichris wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:23 am Hello,
On my multiband smartphone, the Galileo satellites are available as soon as the software is started, I use GalileoPVT on Android and I have 8 visible satellites and 7 usable with a PDOP of 1.87, whose C / NO is between 20 and 30 dBHz. I do not see why Garmin cannot receive these satellites which are taken into account by the GPS. I conclude that Garmin does have a problem with its GPS chips.

On my 66sr it takes over an hour of operation for the Galileo to display two or even three usable fixed satellites. It should be the same on the 65s.
Maybe your app downloads the newest EPO or CPE-data at startup. Than it's easier to find the satellites.
If I start my 65s outside a building than it finds the same satellites in all systems than my smartphone (GPSTest). Normally it only takes a few seconds. And in less than 1 minute (most times it's faster) I do have a accuracy of 1.8m. Under easy situations some of the Galileo satellites never stop flashing and in both systems Galileo and Glonas most of the satellites disappear after 2 hours. But accuracy is still 1.8m.
My software version is 4.00.
mimichris

Unread post by mimichris »

My smartphone :

1632923980-2020-09-25-17-08-03.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
skinnie

Unread post by skinnie »

gpsrchive wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:51 pm Garmin have not yet published 4.00.
Contacted garmin support via chat, they told me 4.0 is just 3.7 "rebranded" for devices that comes with it pre-installed from factory.
A bit strange, as far as I remember, mine came with 3.7 out of the factory.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

skinnie wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:01 am Contacted garmin support via chat, they told me 4.0 is just 3.7 "rebranded" for devices that comes with it pre-installed from factory.
A bit strange, as far as I remember, mine came with 3.7 out of the factory.
I am very confident this is not entirely accurate. Firmware 4.00 almost certainly has some changes compared to version 3.70. However, the support person you spoke with was probably just relaying the only information they had been provided.
mrfreeze

Last week in the mountains my 65s worked as expected. I´ve guessed, that this had to do with the more difficult situation. But since Sunday I´m back in my hometown and the 65s still works as expected. No flashing satellites and always a bunch of satellites in each system.
I did some further tests. The rootcause seems to be the CPE-data. They were probably outdated when I went to the mountains. And of course also when I got back here. After I did a sync with Garmin Express the CPE-data was up to date and I had the flashing satellites again. When I delete the Garmin/GPS/CPE.BIN than the Galileo satellites stop flashing after 1 or 2 minutes after startup. But with up to date CPE-data the device finds more satellites in less time. But most of the Galileo never stop flashing.
At this time I think that it is a softwarebug. If it would be a feature I would expect that the device would acquire new satellites in diffucult situations. But that seems not to be the case. On 2.5 hours walk in a forrest after a rain. I somtimes had an accuracy of 2m. Not 1.8m. But after more than 2 hours all GLONASS satellites gone and of the Galileo only 2 remained with one flashing.
Can some else verify the behavior with the CPE-data, please?
0x01

Unread post by 0x01 »

mrfreeze wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:07 pm Can some else verify the behavior with the CPE-data, please?
I had same impression, but the point is, the unit can also find no Galileo at all. Even after AutoLocate. After a while you realize that all the behaviour is just random even if you thought you found finally some systematic explanation.
I stopped putting more effort in this topic and wait for the bugfix. My conclusion is: unreliable! As of today, not buy for the reason you want dual band Galileo.
GPSMAP 65s | eTrex Legend HCx
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Everyone seems to be overlooking the fact that the GPSr still works just as good if not better than any non Multi-Band unit.
mobeasto123

Unread post by mobeasto123 »

mrfreeze wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:07 pm Last week in the mountains my 65s worked as expected. I´ve guessed, that this had to do with the more difficult situation. But since Sunday I´m back in my hometown and the 65s still works as expected. No flashing satellites and always a bunch of satellites in each system.
I did some further tests. The rootcause seems to be the CPE-data. They were probably outdated when I went to the mountains. And of course also when I got back here. After I did a sync with Garmin Express the CPE-data was up to date and I had the flashing satellites again. When I delete the Garmin/GPS/CPE.BIN than the Galileo satellites stop flashing after 1 or 2 minutes after startup. But with up to date CPE-data the device finds more satellites in less time. But most of the Galileo never stop flashing.
At this time I think that it is a softwarebug. If it would be a feature I would expect that the device would acquire new satellites in diffucult situations. But that seems not to be the case. On 2.5 hours walk in a forrest after a rain. I somtimes had an accuracy of 2m. Not 1.8m. But after more than 2 hours all GLONASS satellites gone and of the Galileo only 2 remained with one flashing.
Can some else verify the behavior with the CPE-data, please?
I was about to buy a gpsmap 65s but after reading your expirement there is something I want to confirm. As you said sometime you had a precision of 2m. But is it the precision you see most of the time even when Galileo Sats are flashing ?? or It sometime it's pretty erratic. When you are in thick cover do you still get a good precision ?? I wanted multi band but it doesnt seem to work really well.

Return to “GPSMAP 65”