GPSMAP65s - Galileo Satellites Flashing [Bug 8]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 65 series GPSr
pokyyy

Re: GPSMAP65s - Galileo Satellites Flashing [Bug 8]

Unread post by pokyyy »

Can you explain for a novice like me what CPE.BIN is, where to find it and how to delete it please?
Why is it there in the first place?
Thanks
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Please see GPSrChive > GPSMAP 65 > Operation > Connected Features > CPE Downloads for detailed information about the CPE file.
pokyyy

Unread post by pokyyy »

Thank you for that.
I think I have got myself confused now. In order to take advantage of the CPE is it best to update it using the Connect app on the phone or connect to Garmin Express? What if I have no access to Connect app or Garmin Express (say out in the middle of nowhere for a week), will I be able to use the device itself to do this?
Some people on the forum have talked about deleting the data in the CPE.BIN. Is that a good thing? I assume that can only be done manually by accessing the file on computer.
Sorry, too many questions.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

CPE just helps with 'quicker' first fix performance. The GPSr will load the same data from the satellites in view, just slower, so you do not have to have the CPE file for your device to work. It just improves how quickly the GPSr can get its first fix after power-up.
0x01

Unread post by 0x01 »

In addition, you will only get the CPE if you register and connect the unit to your Garmin account. Garmin Express itself without linking the unit to your Garmin account will not download CPE unless you register. CPE is just some extra.
GPSMAP 65s | eTrex Legend HCx
pokyyy

Unread post by pokyyy »

I have registered the device and linked it to my Garmin account so hopefully it should be fine with Garmin Express. I will try it next time.

Thank you both.
mrfreeze

Unread post by mrfreeze »

A few weeks ago I wrote that I´ll do some tests for some weeks with, without and outdated CPE-data.

From Monday to Friday I did a 8km walk each day. On Saturday and Sunday I did a 19km walk each day.
First week with working CPE-data. I could see the bug each day.
Second week with outdated CPE-data. I could never see the bug.
Third week without CPE-data. I also could never see the bug.

I wasn´t able to do tests with the accuracy because we had no rain and the terrain has no impact if it´s dry weather. Even the forrest with thik cover.
boschettuzzo

Unread post by boschettuzzo »

mrfreeze wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:55 am A few weeks ago I wrote that I´ll do some tests for some weeks with, without and outdated CPE-data.

From Monday to Friday I did a 8km walk each day. On Saturday and Sunday I did a 19km walk each day.
First week with working CPE-data. I could see the bug each day.
Second week with outdated CPE-data. I could never see the bug.
Third week without CPE-data. I also could never see the bug.

I wasn´t able to do tests with the accuracy because we had no rain and the terrain has no impact if it´s dry weather. Even the forrest with thik cover.
Same for me.
I reported that to Garmin support, they told me there will be a further update (over 4.00) which will solve the issue with CPE.
0x01

Unread post by 0x01 »

boschettuzzo wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:05 pm I reported that to Garmin support, they told me there will be a further update (over 4.00) which will solve the issue with CPE.
Wow, I am really impressed about the Garmin support now. Suddenly they know about bugs and even a timeline. Apparently they couldn't hide the issues anymore with more and more sales of buggy units.
0x01

Unread post by 0x01 »

Firmware 4.40 finally fixes the issue with flashing satellites for Galileo and GLONASS.
Suddenly a huge number of satellites are acquired shortly after power on.

One year after product release Garmin made the product available which they announced...

Return to “GPSMAP 65”