The compass does not work while moving. [Bug 122]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
Александр

Re: The compass does not work while moving. [Bug 122]

Unread post by Александр »

And hello to you.
Thank you for your interest in the problem, you may be right. But in the video above you can see that I hold the navigator in my hand and move on foot and in motion the compass completely freezes. Let's look at a couple of examples, for example I am riding an ATV, a car, or just a bike with the "catch heading" function enabled or with the "compass navigation" function. What to do ?, because the compass freezes in motion. Even when traveling on foot, I cannot move too slowly, or stop every now and then, for example, if I need to walk a route in a certain time.
But this is of course my subjective opinion. Anyway, I duplicated my question in support of Garmin and here is the verbatim answer:

"A warranty replacement is recommended for your device.
Now prepare and submit an electronic application for verification. After confirmation, you will provide the original application, the necessary documents and the device to Navikom through the courier service.
We need to receive your application in a response letter - the form is in the attachment, all items are strictly required.
- After the item "Description of the requirement", indicate the exact address of return delivery and telephone number for communication.
- Please attach a scan or a distinguishable photo of your passport on a spread with a photo and registration.
- Be sure to attach copies of the sales documents confirming the date on which the item was sold.
- If there is an Act from an Authorized Service Center (ASC) Garmin - must be attached.
We will check the documents provided and confirm the shipment to you. "
Today I sent the device and everything I needed to the service center. I'm waiting for the result.
Nevertheless, thank you for your participation. I will definitely write here how it will end.
original
И Вам привет.
Спасибо за интерес к проблеме, возможно Вы правы. Но на видео выше видно, что я держу навигатор в руке и передвигаюсь пешком и в движении компас полностью замирает. Давайте рассмотрим пару примеров, например я еду на квадроцикле, авто, или просто на велосипеде с включенной функцией "засечь направление " или с функцией "навигация по компасу". Как быть?, ведь компас в движении замирает. Даже при передвижении пешком, я не могу двигаться слишком медленно, или то и дело останавливаться, например если мне надо пройти маршрут за определённое время.
Но это конечно же моё субъективное мнение. В любом случае, я продублировал свой вопрос в поддержку Garmin и вот дословный ответ :

"Для вашего устройства рекомендуется гарантийная замена.
Сейчас для проверки подготовьте и отправьте заявление в электронном виде. После подтверждения Вы предоставите заявление в оригинале, необходимые документы и прибор в Навиком через курьерскую службу.
Нам необходимо получить в ответном письме Ваше заявление - бланк находится во вложении, все пункты строго обязательны.
- После пункта "Описание требования" укажите точный адрес обратной доставки и телефон для связи.
- Приложите пожалуйста скан или различимое фото паспорта на развороте с фотографией и пропиской.
- Обязательно приложите копии документов продажи, подтверждающие дату продажи товара.
- Если имеется Акт от Авторизованного Сервисного Центра (АСЦ) Garmin - обязательно должен быть приложен.
Мы проверим предоставленные документы и подтвердим Вам отправку."
Сегодня я отправил прибор и всё необходимое в сервисный центр. Жду результата.
Тем не менее спасибо Вам за участие. Обязательно напишу здесь чем всё закончится.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

I suspect the hardware replacement will not improve the result, but we await your response!
Александр

I am far from young, but I still want to believe in the best. Moreover, I now have your forum.
original
Я далеко не молод, но всё ещё хочется верить в лучшее. Тем более у меня теперь есть ваш форум.
Александр

Hello.
The device has been replaced under warranty. The problem with the compass, at least when traveling on foot, has been resolved. The compass works in my opinion as it should. Later I will test it on a trip by transport, I will write about the result.
original
Здравствуйте.
Прибор заменён по гарантии. Проблема с компасом по крайней мере при передвижении пешком решена. Компас работает на мой взгляд как и должно быть. Позже протестирую в поездке на транспорте, о результате напишу.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Well that is good to hear!

We look forward to your reports after further testing.

Enjoy your new toy!
Александр

Hello.
And so, I checked my new device and you were right. Nothing changed. The compass in the device still freezes at a movement speed of 4-5 km / h. Of course upset. So many worries about the replacement and everything is in vain. The only plus is the new warranty.
This is still a flaw of the Garmin engineers.
original

Здравствуйте.
И так, проверил свой новый прибор, и Вы были правы. Ничего не изменилось. Компас в приборе всё так же зависает при скорости передвижения 4-5 км/ч. Конечно огорчён. Так много волнений связанных с заменой и всё в пустую. Единственный плюс это новая гарантия.
Это всё таки недоработка инженеров GARMIN.
dmitch2916

Unread post by dmitch2916 »

I am on my third replacement from Garmin. All three have had the same issue of the compass freezing while moving.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

I am now suspecting this is by design, and not a bug as we suspected. All devices switch off the 3D compass when sufficient speed is detected, and perhaps we just need to request a higher speed threshold or an option to configure this value as desired...
Александр

It seems that this is indeed an intentional limitation, but in my opinion this is absolute nonsense. The navigator is positioned as universal. Accordingly, the compass should not behave like this at any speed. I can't understand why to set such a restriction at all. Moreover, with such a restriction, the navigator cannot be used either for a run (this despite the fact that the device seems to be sharpened for fitness as well) or as I already wrote on a bicycle or any other transport. But with all this, the device is accepted and changed under warranty with such a problem. It’s strange.
I agree with you that we should try to change something, I think it is necessary to request a function to adjust this value as desired, at least. And it is better to remove this limitation in principle. Unless it really is the fault of the garmin engineers.
original
Похоже, что это действительно намеренное ограничение, но это на мой взгляд абсолютный бред. Навигатор позиционируется как универсальный. Соответственно компас не должен себя так вести при любой скорости. Не могу понять для чего вообще устанавливать подобное ограничение. Тем более с таким ограничением навигатор невозможно использовать ни на пробежке (это при том, что прибор вроде как заточен и под фитнес в том числе) ни как я уже писал на велосипеде или любом другом транспорте. Но при всём при этом прибор принимают и меняют по гарантии с такой проблемой. Странно.
Согласен с вами, что то надо пытаться поменять, думаю необходим запрос функции настраивать это значение по желанию, ка минимум. А лучше убрать это ограничение в принципе. Если это действительно не ошибка инженеров garmin.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

The reason for this is because most often when a specific speed is reached, it can be assumed the device is moving while in a vehicle, which will act as a faraday cage and render the magnetic compass inoperable. So now the device disables magnetic compass and uses GPS movement to determine direction of travel, regardless of device orientation.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”