The compass does not work while moving. [Bug 122]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
Александр

Re: The compass does not work while moving. [Bug 122]

Unread post by Александр »

I resubmitted my request to fix this problem. The application is being processed. I tried to state all possible arguments about the need for this function, especially since this function is described in the instructions. I can't believe it, but let's hope.
original
Отправил повторную заявку на исправление этой проблемы. Заявка обрабатывается. Постарался изложить все возможные доводы о необходимости этой функции, тем более, эта функция описана в инструкции. Не верится, но будем надеяться.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

If enough users request it, they will likely consider making a change....
Александр

Complete disappointment. GARMIN's answer - will not be fixed. I'm tired of it.
original
Полное разочарование. Ответ GARMIN - исправлено не будет. Надоело.
asprin624

Unread post by asprin624 »

I do not fully understand why one needs to look at his or her compass the entire time they are hiking or what every actives they are doing.
When I am out Geocaching I do not look at the map the whole time. I know I am on the correct path and put the 66 back on the belt clip.
The only time I look at it again is when I stop and see how close I am to a caches or get a warning.
The same way when I am just hiking with one of my tracks.

Back when I was a boy scout I used a compass to plot a trip to a point some place in the woods.
Put the compass back in my pocket and off we when for a KM. or so.
Then stop and check the compass again to get my bearings as to where I am and need to go.
Then back in the pocket and off we went repeating the check every now and then when stopped.

So I still do not understand why one would need to look at there 66 compass the whole time.
You stop for 15 to 20 seconds and the compass tells you the direction you are going in and if you need to correct it.

Maybe I am wrong here but have never had the screen on the 66 the whole hike. That would run the battery down much quicker then just stopping and pushing the power button to see where I am.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

I also do not keep the display on nor do I look at it constantly (doing so can be very dangerous), but different users will have different work flows and needs.

What I need from the GPSr may not be the same as what you need.

;)
Александр

Are you seriously? In addition to the fact that the algorithm for the operation of this function is clearly described in the instructions, we have already discussed this, a simple example - you are on a river, lake - fog, rain, whatever, just night, visibility is zero, you are in a boat, at least with an electric motor, speed in any case, more than 4 km / h and you need to arrive at a certain point. What to do, two steps forward three back? As you understand, there can be many similar situations. Turn on your imagination, not all roads are straight.
And probably all the same, let's be a little more tolerant towards each other, this is a forum, we are here, as it were, trying to help each other, or am I mistaken? Unlike the "boy scout" I do not impose my point of view, I repeat, the function is declared in the instructions for the navigator, it is described how this function should work, in fact this function does not work. I'm just talking about that.
All good
original
Вы серьёзно? Помимо того, что алгоритм действия этой функции чётко описан в инструкции, мы обсуждали это уже, простой пример - Вы на реке, озере - туман, дождь да что угодно, просто ночь, видимость нулевая, вы в лодке, хотя бы с электромотором, скорость уж в любом случае больше 4 км/ч и вам необходимо прибыть в определённую точку . Как быть, два шага вперёд три назад? Подобных ситуаций как вы понимаете может быть множество. Включите фантазию, не все дороги прямые.
И наверное всё таки давайте будем чуть более терпимее по отношению друг к другу, это же форум, мы здесь как бы пытаемся помочь друг другу или я ошибаюсь? В отличие от "бойскаута" я не навязываю свою точку зрения, повторюсь, функция заявлена в инструкции к навигатору, описано как эта функция должна работать, по факту эта функция не работает. Я лишь об этом.
Всем добра.
Александр

Firmware 9.60 the problem has not been fixed.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

As stated by Garmin, and confirmed by others, this is not actually a Bug, but rather intended and correct device operation.

Please note, Feature Request 39 was created and submitted so that the user might be able to configure the speed at which the magnetic compass is disabled.

Thank You!
Александр

Thank you, I know the request has been made. I'm just sharing my observations about the new firmware. Unfortunately, the presence of a request does not cancel the problem, and judging by the attitude of GARMIN to requests, it is unlikely that it will ever be fixed.
Good luck.
dmitch2916

Unread post by dmitch2916 »

Updated to version 9.90. GPS still doesn't work when moving. :evil:

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”