Montana 700 Map Screen Redraw Issue [Bug 54], Startup Issue, and Small Request

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Montana 700 Map Screen Redraw Issue [Bug 54], Startup Issue, and Small Request

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Interesting tracks.

Which best represents your actual movements? The 610 or 700?

Looks like each of them did better in different portions of the test.
LostAgain

Re: Montana 700 Map Screen Redraw Issue [Bug 54], Startup Issue, and Small Request

Unread post by LostAgain »

Yes it appears each was accurate in certain places along the journey but neither was accurate for all of it.
Both pretty much the same while at speed, direction of travel being right to left in the pic, then after I stopped and started again it seems the 700 was the most accurate for a short while even though the display was frozen, then when the 700's track straightens out the 610 appears the most accurate with regards to actual travel.

Circled is where the map display started working correctly again on the 700.
I have no idea why the 700's track stops 20 or so metres shorter than the 610's as I saved them both when stopped at the end of the test.

tracks-unfreeze.png

GPSPrune's interpretation of each track:

Garmin replied to yesterday's email:
Our engineering team have advised that there is a new software update available for the Montana 750i. They have requested for you to install the latest software on your 750i & test the device.

If the issue continues, please reply to this email to advise.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ConiKost

Unread post by ConiKost »

I am also currently in conact with Garmin about my issue, which seems to share the freezing map. My 750i on my motorbike also freezes sometimes with map redraw, when I take the driveway or exit from / to the motorway. Happens only there, as I don't have such issue on small roads. This is basically the same issue, which I also had on my GPSMap 276Cx. Garmin is currently investigating here. Using 8.50 firmware.

But I also noticed, that I am able to reproduce such issue, when just slowly walking with my 750i as handset. It happens very offen, when I turn 180 degree around and walk slowly, that the map freezes and it can take up to 100m walk way until it finally refreshes.

I also had some impression, that this freezing behavior occurs less, when Galileo is disabled. (But I could be wrong here)
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.20, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
GPSrChive
Site Admin

LostAgain wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:08 am
Garmin replied to yesterday's email:
Garmin wrote: Our engineering team have advised that there is a new software update available for the Montana 750i. They have requested for you to install the latest software on your 750i & test the device.

If the issue continues, please reply to this email to advise.
No new firmware available here....

Maybe soon?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

LostAgain wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:08 am I have no idea why the 700's track stops 20 or so metres shorter than the 610's as I saved them both when stopped at the end of the test.
The 610 tracklog was started at 10:03:23, and stopped at 10:08:50, for a total record time of 327 seconds.

The 700 tracklog was started at 10:03:31, and stopped at 10:08:16, for a total record time of 285 seconds.

The additional 42 seconds recording at one trackpoint per second is likely why the 610 tracklog is about that much longer.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

An interesting observation when comparing the speed from each tracklog, look at the severe oscillations from the Montana 7x0, while the Montana 6x0 remains relatively 'steady':

Montana 610 vs Montana 700 Track Test 210711 v2.png
Montana 610 vs Montana 700 Track Test 210711 v2.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LostAgain

gpsrchive wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:17 pm
The 610 tracklog was started at 10:03:23, and stopped at 10:08:50, for a total record time of 327 seconds.

The 700 tracklog was started at 10:03:31, and stopped at 10:08:16, for a total record time of 285 seconds.

The additional 42 seconds recording at one trackpoint per second is likely why the 610 tracklog is about that much longer.
I had come to a complete stop before saving the track on both devices and never moved again until the saving was complete on both and the 610 was shut down and removed from the dash.
I saved the 700's track first, then the 610's, which explains the 42 seconds difference, but I would have thought that meant they both were finalised at pretty much the same position?
Unless the extra 42 seconds worth of points, even though stationary, added to the total distance?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

All Garmin GPSr other than those with Multi-Band will add tracklog distance even while perfectly stationary.
LostAgain

gpsrchive wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:23 pm An interesting observation when comparing the speed from each tracklog, look at the severe oscillations from the Montana 7x0, while the Montana 6x0 remains relatively 'steady':
I noticed the 700's speed display while testing and the map display is frozen, instead of showing a roughly constant speed like the 610's, jumps back and forward between zero and whatever speed I'm doing during the test.
That seems to happen every time the map display is frozen and is seen in all the test videos.
Once the map starts rotating correctly again that behaviour stops and speed is displayed as expected...weird :shock:
LostAgain

gpsrchive wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:40 am All Garmin GPSr other than those with Multi-Band will add tracklog distance even while perfectly stationary.
Wouldn't that mean the location display of each point when stationary in the same device's track should be roughly the same?
Sort of like they're stacked on top of each other, and shows like the 'spidering' at the very end of the 610's track appears to?
If that's so I can understand the extra distance reported but not the difference between the ends of each track's actual shown locations, to me when looking at the tracks in an editor it appears the 700's track simply stops short of where I actually pulled up while the 610's shows correct speed & distance up until the point I actually pulled up, then there's the spidering effect.

I would have thought the points with matching timestamps shown in the pic below should have been roughly the same location with the 2 devices side by side.
Just trying to understand it correctly so it doesn't give me headaches thinking about it :mrgreen:

Return to “Montana 7x0”