GPSMAP 66i Bug: elapsed act. time includes time from stopping recording to saving the recording

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66i GPSr
simonw500

Re: GPSMAP 66i Bug: elapsed act. time includes time from stopping recording to saving the recording

Unread post by simonw500 »

987 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:00 pm I stand corrected.
I made that half marathon test in compact format and saved after a few more seconds.
So long as you didn't feel the need to actually run a half marathon just to test it! :lol:
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: GPSMAP 66i Bug: elapsed act. time includes time from stopping recording to saving the recording

Unread post by GPSrChive »

987 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:00 pm
I stand corrected.
I made that half marathon test in compact format and saved after a few more seconds.
The saved track does show the elapsed time, not the time from start to stop. The saved activity shows both.
Now i have to agree the track saving has a bug.
Interesting, I also ran similar tests (in compact form) where the actual track and activity recorded time was just over a minute, but I waited 15 minutes before saving them (total 16 minutes).

I have inspected both of the saved files, a GPX and a FIT, and only the FIT displays the 16 minute time, while the GPX displays the one minute time.

Where are you seeing the additional time with the GPX file?

Unread post by 987 »

I could see the additional time on the device interface MENU -> Saved tracks.
I did like this. Reset the activity, let it run for 15 seconds, stop the activity, wait 15 more seconds, save. Now open the saved track.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Might need a screen capture, as my GPSMAP 66i (and my other devices) all show only the recorded time when I do this, not the elapsed time.

Unread post by 987 »

It won't be possible i am afraid.
I tried a few times again, but all of these times the saved track shows the activity time as the time up till the point when the recording was stopped. As one would have expected and as i first wrote but later thought i had written in error.
Therefore i change my mind again. At least on the 66st, the track contains only the active time from what i can see. Which i take to be correct!
Let's hope this is not some random error, but merely old eyes playing a trick.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

987, that is good to hear! (not the old eyes though, I have those as well)

Unread post by 987 »

Can you also try this?

Reset the activity, let it run for 30 seconds, stop the recording, wait 30 more seconds, start the recording, save.
Now open the saved track, it will show a bit over 1 minute, instead of a bit over 30 seconds.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

That is because you 'added' additional timestamped trackpoints before saving the track.

Should someone record a longer duration tracklog with multiple 'paused' or 'resting' events, they can always save the desired portion or portions of the track individually.

See GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Pages > Recording Controls > Save Portion.

Return to “GPSMAP 66i”