Incorrect average overall speed and time

Discussion related to the Garmin Oregon 7x0 series GPSr
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Incorrect average overall speed and time

Unread post by GPSrChive »

With both the GPX and FIT loaded into BaseCamp, one can see that the FIT file does not include any 'Moving Time' value, and the 'Stopped Time' values do not agree, which corrupts multiple other statistics for the activity as reported in Garmin Connect and elsewhere.

GPX vs FIT Statistics BaseCamp.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
buffet

Unread post by buffet »

I owned a Garmin Edge 130 device back in 2019. I don't have the device with me now, so I can't provide original gpx/fit files, but out of curiousity I checked several cycling activities on Garmin Connect that I did using this device (I also always used the auto-pause feature), and the situation is identical to the one I'm describing here:
photo_2021-01-12 09.28.06.jpeg
Moving speed almost identical to overall speed, Total time same as moving time, while elapsed time is much more.

I'm sure that this is intentional from Garmin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

buffet wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:32 am I'm sure that this is intentional from Garmin.
It may also be a long standing bug that needs to be corrected for all devices that record FIT files....
Spiney

Unread post by Spiney »

I just compared the GPX and FIT files from a walk this afternoon with a GPSMAP 66st and found exactly the same issue with the FIT file displaying Moving Time: 0:00:00 compared to the GPX when viewed in BaseCamp - this would seem to confirm that it is a systematic error. Screenshots:
GPX file.JPG
FIT file.JPG
Let me know if you would like me to forward the .GPX and .FIT files.
Spiney

Unread post by Spiney »

I just had an idea: if you delete the first track point in the FIT file in BC and then select all the remaining track points with Ctrl-A, the correct FIT file - less 1 track point.JPG[/attachment]missing Moving Time miraculously appears. Note that the elevation data is also recalculated. Removing the first track point should remove 1 metre from the total ascent to become 191m: whereas the recalculation removes 5m to a new total of 187m.
FIT file.JPG
FIT file - less 1 track point.JPG
This reminds me of the issue we used to see with the data for saved GPX files with the 66st which was fixed some time ago although the error isn't the same. Initially, the summary statistics were written into the saved GPX header from all track points that the GPSr recorded i.e. at 1 Hz , whereas the data written into the track points table was the data captured in accordance with the selected criteria in the Recording set up.

This produced summary data which was at variance with the track point data in the table. If the first track point was deleted and a recalculation forced for the remainder, the data in the header then matched the track point data table. It was later corrected so that the saved GPX header data matched the track point data.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Spiney wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:48 pm Let me know if you would like me to forward the .GPX and .FIT files.
Yes, please email those to webmaster at gpsrchive dot com.
yayayaya

Unread post by yayayaya »

my Oregon 700 had problems with altitude and ascent calculation with firmware 5.30. Back to 5.20 it's fine. Today after the notification on the device to update, I'm back at 5.30 and it seems to be fine anyway. I confirm that the averag speed takes mvoving time with autopause on, minimum speed is 2.60km / h
I registered in both Fit and Fit + GPX, auto high frequency, 1 second time without problems. I do not recommend using time 1 second because it should generate 3600 points/hour , and from Garmin characteristics the maximum is 20000 points, while for some it is 10000 like Etrex 35 and Oregon 600. During an outing when it gave problems I found myself 11674 points, but from point 32 it seems to have overwritten, so I find myself 5 points in 2km. I don't know if 1 second recordings slowed it down. Now with 5.30 the first test seems to go well.

Cattura.JPG
Cattura1.JPG
errore traccia.JPG
traccia.JPG
GPSrChive
Site Admin

To clarify, after the downgrade to v5.20 firmware, your Oregon 7x0 operated as expected, then after update again to v5.30 firmware, it is now also functioning as expected, without issue?

Return to “Oregon 7x0”