Some geocache problems

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
montschok

Re: Some geocache problems [Bug 22]

Unread post by montschok »

I asked around a bit, and it seems like the most common method of adding caches to garmin devices is to simply download gpx/ggz files and add them manually.

One person reported that connecting with bluetooth to an old android phone didn't work properly, but it worked with an iphone.

Since I have an android phone, I decided to test this by making sure it was only going through wifi by disabling bluetooth in both the garmin device and my phone. That didn't fix it.

Loading gpx files onto an SD card seems to work fine so far.

If I go to the map and then press menu -> Geocache Filter -> Geocache Files and then disable stuff, they are disabled when looking at the map. If I then go back to Geocache Filter, all of them are enabled except Live Data which stays disabled.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Some geocache problems [Bug 22]

Unread post by GPSrChive »

montschok wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:50 pm I asked around a bit, and it seems like the most common method of adding caches to garmin devices is to simply download gpx/ggz files and add them manually.
This was the only method before GCLive capabilities were first available with the Oregon 7x0.

montschok wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:50 pm One person reported that connecting with bluetooth to an old android phone didn't work properly, but it worked with an iphone.

Since I have an android phone, I decided to test this by making sure it was only going through wifi by disabling bluetooth in both the garmin device and my phone. That didn't fix it.
Good thinking!

montschok wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:50 pm Loading gpx files onto an SD card seems to work fine so far.

If I go to the map and then press menu -> Geocache Filter -> Geocache Files and then disable stuff, they are disabled when looking at the map. If I then go back to Geocache Filter, all of them are enabled except Live Data which stays disabled.
This is a new to me Bug! Thank you for pointing it out.

Reported to Garmin software engineers. Will be listed as Bug 22 the next time the GPSMAP 67 Common Issues page is updated.
montschok

Re: Some geocache problems

I made a new PQ covering an area that I haven't visited yet. The plan is to try to sync only that one after it's been generated (and after yet another full reset of my device) and see if that works or not.

I used these settings (the rest were the defaults):

Query Name : Test
Days to generate : Tue, Uncheck the day of the week after the query runs
Caches Total : 1000
From Origin : GC Code : GC6XE5H
Within a radius of : 5 km

This search currently results in 718 caches.

I'll try to report how it goes tomorrow.

(Edit : On the geocacing website In Settings -> Preferences -> GPX Version, it's set to 1.0. Setting it to 1.0.1 does not seem to help, since that's what it was set to when I started trying this and got issues.)
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Forgot about that setting since you basically set it once and never touch it again.

I believe you will want to use 1.0.
MikeD

Unread post by MikeD »

Regarding the “Live Gching” problem, I wrote at length to G Support setting out the issue
I have just had this reply
“. Thank you for the reply.

The information you have provided will be helpful for the investigation that has been created.

This will be looked into and you will be notified once there has been an update to the ticket that was created.“
We will see what happens
Mike

Note to GPSrChive web master > do you want me to post here exactly what I said?
GSB

Unread post by GSB »

MikeD wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:55 am Regarding the “Live Gching” problem, I wrote at length to G Support setting out the issue
I have just had this reply
“. Thank you for the reply.

The information you have provided will be helpful for the investigation that has been created.

This will be looked into and you will be notified once there has been an update to the ticket that was created.“
We will see what happens
Mike

Note to GPSrChive web master > do you want me to post here exactly what I said?
Yes, I‘m interested in your eMai. I also had today a long chat with the support. They say it‘s a gecaching.com problem, perhabs the files are not correct. On Oregon 700 the GPX files are fine and when I download the GPX file via computer it works on the GPSMAP 67. GC Live problems are old GPSMAP 65,66,67…
montschok

montschok wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:22 pm I made a new PQ covering an area that I haven't visited yet. The plan is to try to sync only that one after it's been generated (and after yet another full reset of my device) and see if that works or not.

I used these settings (the rest were the defaults):

Query Name : Test
Days to generate : Tue, Uncheck the day of the week after the query runs
Caches Total : 1000
From Origin : GC Code : GC6XE5H
Within a radius of : 5 km

This search currently results in 718 caches.

I'll try to report how it goes tomorrow.

(Edit : On the geocacing website In Settings -> Preferences -> GPX Version, it's set to 1.0. Setting it to 1.0.1 does not seem to help, since that's what it was set to when I started trying this and got issues.)
Results:

At first I tried to sync it with no changes. That didn't work at all. I'm guessing it's because I had another PQ stuck on 94%.

Then I reset the device (delete all) and made it connect only through bluetooth. That time it got stuck on 0%.

Then I decided to remove the micro sd card and write down what I did for the 3rd attempt in more detail (this also failed):

Delete all reset
Language : English
Inreach activation : Skip
Stop current activity (at this point it had changed my position from somewhere in USA to at least closely to where I am, although I didn't zoom in to check how close)
Set up -> Bluetooth -> Connect to my phone -> Garmin Connect sync -> failed, try again -> success -> Garmin Explore sync
Add wifi with Garmin Explore
Disable bluetooth on phone and gpsmap 67i
Enable wifi in gpsmap 67i -> it's connected
Geocaching settings -> register device
Geocaching settings -> Geocaching Live -> Geocache Lists -> Test (718 caches) -> Sync -> Stuck on 47%

Edit : Position format is set to hddd mm.mmmm'. If I remember correctly, I changed it to this from something else during my first setup. Either I remember wrong or that setting is not reverted during a full reset.
GSB

Unread post by GSB »

Installed 5.90. Now GPSMAP 67 reboots after selecting overview of my geocache bookmark list. With 5.30 I could load the overview, garmin rebooted only when I tried to sync a list without having at least one cache downloaded. It‘s a step back…
1 days rest for testing than back zu garmin.
montschok

GSB wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:26 pm Installed 5.90. Now GPSMAP 67 reboots after selecting overview of my geocache bookmark list. With 5.30 I could load the overview, garmin rebooted only when I tried to sync a list without having at least one cache downloaded. It‘s a step back…
1 days rest for testing than back zu garmin.
I gave up trying to use the built in geocaching functions. I'm downloading the GPX files for PQ:s and lists and adding them to a microsd card manually.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

montschok wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:04 pm I gave up trying to use the built in geocaching functions. I'm downloading the GPX files for PQ:s and lists and adding them to a microsd card manually.
Not as convenient, but very reliable!

Return to “GPSMAP 67”