Finding an address

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 64 series GPSr
ConiKost

Re: Finding an address

Unread post by ConiKost »

GPSrChive wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:25 pm
ConiKost wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:00 am
GPSrChive wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:19 am Interesting that this option is available to you as Garmin TopoActive maps do not support address search functionality.
This is not fully correct. As for the Europe edition of TopoActive, it contains addresses for germany, poland and be-ne-lux, but without house number. This is also confirmed by Garmin to me, that this is intended behavior.
We are only reporting what is stated on the Garmin TopoActive Europe Webpage:

TopoActive Europe No Address Search.png
TopoActive Europe
Yes. I am aware of this statement. But in reality, it seems, those three countries are shipped for addresses. I just don't have any clou why.
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
terratrek

Unread post by terratrek »

I want to thank you guys for the help. It will be a little while before I try GMapTool OSM, but that is my plan. I'll have to educate myself about the process. I have to say that I'm a little disappointed with the unit in some ways, but it shines if you're a geocacher. It does a good job of storing cache information, logs, etc. I'm not used to that, and in the past I needed to copy and paste on paper in order to have information with me. I'm returning to geocaching in retirement as something for fun and exercise. Also, my wife enjoys nice walks.
terratrek

Unread post by terratrek »

I took me a while to get back to this, but I installed an OSM. Far better than TopoActive. The features suit me well so far. I had been mad to the point that I wasn't even using the unit and wished I had returned it. But now, all seems good. I've only been playing with the new setup for a couple of days but I'm confident. Thanks for steering me in this direction!
P.S. I thought I had missed an installation step because the new map didn't show up as a choice in the unit until after a few restarts.

Return to “GPSMAP 64”