Finding an address

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 64 series GPSr
terratrek

Finding an address

Unread post by terratrek »

Trying to go to an address, I push the "FIND" button, scroll to "Addresses" and enter, "Enter State/Province" and enter, type "VIRGINIA" and done, and "No Results Found" flashes up for a second, then "Enter the State or Province Name". From there the "Enter" button does nothing and I must "Quit". Why is it that I can't enter even a state to start searching? Unit is new, updated. It works fine for geocaching activity.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Finding an address

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Which maps are installed?
terratrek

TopoActive North America 2022.20.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Interesting that this option is available to you as Garmin TopoActive maps do not support address search functionality.

Which firmware version is installed?

We suggest adding some new OSM based maps to your device that include address information.

A comprehensive list can be found at GPSrChive > GPSMAP 64 > Maps or GPSrChive > How To... > Maps.
ConiKost

Unread post by ConiKost »

GPSrChive wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:19 am Interesting that this option is available to you as Garmin TopoActive maps do not support address search functionality.
This is not fully correct. As for the Europe edition of TopoActive, it contains addresses for germany, poland and be-ne-lux, but without house number. This is also confirmed by Garmin to me, that this is intended behavior.
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
terratrek

Firmware Version 3.10.
It seems odd that search for an address isn't a feature of any GPSr. If I try to search nearby cities, as I type to spell, the world-wide list of cities keeps narrowing down toward my selection. If a searched city appears, I can't select it.
Another thing I didn't like was that after I purchased my GPSMAP 64sx, I discovered that BirdsEye isn't available even though it was advertised. I'll check into the suggested maps. Thanks for the responses!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

ConiKost wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:00 am
GPSrChive wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:19 am Interesting that this option is available to you as Garmin TopoActive maps do not support address search functionality.
This is not fully correct. As for the Europe edition of TopoActive, it contains addresses for germany, poland and be-ne-lux, but without house number. This is also confirmed by Garmin to me, that this is intended behavior.
We are only reporting what is stated on the Garmin TopoActive Europe Webpage:

TopoActive Europe No Address Search.png
TopoActive Europe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

terratrek wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:03 pm Firmware Version 3.10.
It seems odd that search for an address isn't a feature of any GPSr.
It is when maps with address information are loaded to the device.

terratrek wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:03 pm If I try to search nearby cities, as I type to spell, the world-wide list of cities keeps narrowing down toward my selection. If a searched city appears, I can't select it.
Can you make a short video to share?

terratrek wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:03 pm Another thing I didn't like was that after I purchased my GPSMAP 64sx, I discovered that BirdsEye isn't available even though it was advertised.
Unfortunately, Garmin have made some very poor decisions recently...
Garmin Discontinues BirdsEye Services

terratrek wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:03 pm I'll check into the suggested maps. Thanks for the responses!
We use the GMapTool OSM based maps on all our devices.
terratrek

terratrek wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:03 pm If I try to search nearby cities, as I type to spell, the world-wide list of cities keeps narrowing down toward my selection. If a searched city appears, I can't select it.
GPSrChive wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:32 pm Can you make a short video to share?

Not at this time because I'm limited as to devices and access.
GPSrChive wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:32 pm We use the GMapTool OSM based maps on all our devices.
Thanks, I'll look at that.
Does this mean that I will need to give up terrain detail for street address search? I haven't had the unit very long and discovered there was no search. I took a longish walk near our son's home to get used to the unit and then I went for a geocache in the area. I had been gone a long time and hadn't left word of what I was doing, so I needed to get back. I was going to head cross-country to the home address but couldn't do the search. Of course it was not much of a problem, but I was pretty shocked that the expensive GPSr couldn't perform this basic function. I had a Magellan over 20 years old that would do it.
Most of my time using the unit will be in remote forests.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

We find the GMapTool OSM maps to be more detailed than the topoactive maps from Garmin. And they will allow address searching!

Return to “GPSMAP 64”