'Address' missing from Find Menu

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: 'Address' missing from Find Menu

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Well don't we feel silly!

After a good night sleep and some coffee, I remembered what you have already discovered!

Garmin TopoActive maps do not include the capability to search for street addresses. See the last sentence under 'overview' on these pages:
TopoActive Europe
TopoActive North America
Our address search is working because we also have additional maps loaded, but disabled.

Now we all know the 'Find' function uses data from all loaded maps, regardless if they are enabled or not!
Gadwin

Unread post by Gadwin »

Oh yeah, the last line, I see it too. Still I am pretty sure, that I had the find option "address" before the reset. But ok, we know now my device just works as intended...

Strange why the topo active maps do not have this ability, I mean the street names are on the maps. Is there some known possiblity to just extract the find option "address" from osm maps?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

We are not certain if Garmin removes that information from their OSM based TopoActive maps, or hard codes the device firmware to ignore it. Technically, if someone who compiled maps wanted to only include address information, they could, but we are not currently aware of anyone doing this.

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”