66sr no longer connecting to computer

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
CheminerWill

Re: 66sr no longer connecting to computer

Unread post by CheminerWill »

GPSrChive wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:18 pm Does the 66sr respond to the 5V charging voltage when connected?

Please test on a different computer to see if it connects.
@GPSrChive Given my last post regarding Garmin support contact, is there anything else you would suggest I do before the reset? Or is that really the next best step?
CheminerWill

Well, I reset the 66sr and no luck. It does still work fine except for the usb port connection problem. Unfortunately, because of all the trouble shooting, the battery is about 1/2 drained now and with the port problem the unit is not charging either. Unlike earlier GPSMap products, I can't just replace the batteries or charge out of the device I guess. So, I may get one or two more hikes out of it before it is dead. Will call Garmin to see what my options are as it is apparent this unit is not fixable on my end.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Wow, what a bummer :(

This is the first reported failure of this type for this model.

I can not help but wonder of the ribbon connector between the main PCB and the USB PCB have become 'disconnected', similar to a common issue with the inReach Mini and the Battery harness.

Would have to open it up to find out, not sure that is in your wheelhouse.

Let us know how Garmin responds, Will.

GPSMAP 66sr Battery plus USB-Flash-microSD-LCD Ribbon.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CheminerWill

GPSrChive wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:43 pm Wow, what a bummer :(

This is the first reported failure of this type for this model.

I can not help but wonder of the ribbon connector between the main PCB and the USB PCB have become 'disconnected', similar to a common issue with the inReach Mini and the Battery harness.

Would have to open it up to find out, not sure that is in your wheelhouse.

Let us know how Garmin responds, Will.
Maybe, but if the ribbon connector had disconnected, it seems like it would not power on when connected to the computer or charger? Unless it just partially disconnected and the connection still works enough for it to recognize it has been plugged in, so it powers on, but the data and charging connections do not work.

I called Garmin back and got a different tech agent who was not quite as friendly and pretty much started over as if I had not already tried everything myself and then gone though it again with the previous agent. One thing he did differently is to have me reset it manually rather than through the menu system. (Hold two buttons down while powering on. Enter and menu I think or maybe enter and quit.) But even resetting it that way did not fix it. In the end he acted a bit surprised at the symptoms and after some dead air where I *think* he talked to someone else, said their engineers wanted to see the unit. So, they are sending me a replacement and a label to return this one. They are charging about 250.00 to my credit card but he said that will be reversed once they receive the problem 66sr. New one may be refurbished, not new, but he did not say. Either way is fine with me as long as it works and has undamaged buttons and screen.

By the way, it was asked if I ever used any 3rd party software to write to the unit memory. I explained GSAK which the support agent said Garmin thought was very bad software and could do this to a GPSr. But when I told his I only used GSAK to write files to the SD card, he said that was OK. I also answered that the unit had never been dropped or in water even with my very heavy use so I don't think I did anything to cause this. Besides, my old 60CSx that I used for 10 years or more had been dropped many times and once I had to chase/fish it out of a fast moving stream. It still works great to this day although since going to the 66 series, I have not needed to use it. Once in a while I set it up and let a friend use it on a hike hoping they might get addicted too. No luck so far. Even on large hiking group outings, I am usually the only one with a handheld GPSr. I even gave my wife my 66st as she seemed excited to use it. But after a few times, she gave it back and just uses her phone.

I am glad I still had my 66st as that made it easier to show that the cable, charger, and computer were all working properly since the 66st is still connecting and charging perfectly.

By the way I did find the page: GPSrChive How To Page>Data Management>4. Best Practices>2. Garmin GPSr Backup Procedures>Garmin GPSr Backup. Not sure how I never noticed that before but will do it as a matter or course in the future. I really should have thought of it myself as it is so simple!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Sounds like you will be made whole, and I can tell you from personal experience, their refurbished devices are indistinguishable from new devices. If they didn't tell you it was refurbished, you would never know!

When you get the replacement 66sr:

1. Back it up directly out of the box.
2. Update firmware etc, load your files etc, update maps etc, configure all options as desired etc.
3. Back it up AGAIN (do not overwrite the original).
4. Enjoy your new GPSMAP 66sr!
CheminerWill

GPSrChive wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:26 am Sounds like you will be made whole, and I can tell you from personal experience, their refurbished devices are indistinguishable from new devices. If they didn't tell you it was refurbished, you would never know!

When you get the replacement 66sr:

1. Back it up directly out of the box.
2. Update firmware etc, load your files etc, update maps etc, configure all options as desired etc.
3. Back it up AGAIN (do not overwrite the original).
4. Enjoy your new GPSMAP 66sr!
Will do. Thanks!
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

CheminerWill wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:06 am So, they are sending me a replacement and a label to return this one.
Ask them to tell you what caused the failure
CheminerWill

Nail wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:09 am
CheminerWill wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:06 am So, they are sending me a replacement and a label to return this one.
Ask them to tell you what caused the failure
The replacement arrived today and the broken one is on its way back. They indicated that their engineers were going to want to examine it to see if they could diagnose because, (I got the impression), they had not really seen this issue much. So I don't think there is any way for me to know in the end. And to be honest, I don't really care as long as I have one that works again. The replacement was labeled as "Garmin Recertified". And as said a couple of posts back, I can't tell from looking at it that it is not new.

It came completely battery drained so would not turn on. I connected it to the charger and after about 30 minutes noticed it was powered on and charging. Disconnected and chose English as the language and then plugged it into the computer. It recognized it right away and I am now making a backup. I copied entire "GPSMAP 66sr (D:)" to my hard drive. Lots of big files as it is going slow and say it will take about 30 minutes. Then I will set it up with latest firmware, custom symbols, my desired settings, etc., and then make another backup.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Yes, the larger files are maps, and will take a little bit of time to backup, but if you ever have any issues in the future, you will be very happy you made the backups!

You could take the time to manually copy everything except the maps, that would make it go a bit quicker... Perhaps the next backup doesn't need them as the first will already have a copy of them.
caileanmor

Unread post by caileanmor »

Hi, I have EXACTLY the same issue and reading the responses I have gone through all the different routes. I look after 2 Instinct Solars and they both connect with Windows 11 within a few seconds. Why oh why does my 66SR not do the same? The only thing I've not done recently is a factory reset but in all honesty I don't see that working. I would love to get rid of all the pre-installed maps - I don't think they help but I contacted Garmin about that and they basically said if I do the unit wouldn't work. Anybody got any views on that? Ah - as I have been sitting here typing with my 66sr plugged into the laptop it has decided to connect! I'd say that was a good 20mins after I plugged it in. Could I repeat what I did - I doubt it !!

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”