Standalone radio usage

Discussion related to the Garmin Group Ride Radio
Alpo

Standalone radio usage

Unread post by Alpo »

Is it possible to use the radio function in the Tread without organizing a Group Ride? I bought the additional radio function because it uses the MURS frequencies, and my buddies and I have been using handheld radios on these freqs for many years. They will not be upgrading to a Tread anytime soon, so I want to be able to talk to them without the Tread connecting to them via Group Ride.

Also, is there a way to connect a transmit button, either wired or bluetooth, without having to reach up to the screen to push to talk? Setup is on an adv bike.

Thanks
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Standalone radio usage

Unread post by GPSrChive »

The Tread navigators have standard MURS radios in them, so any MURS capable radio can communicate with them. You can find our favorite handheld MURS radios by selecting GPSrChive > Tread {model} > Accessories or visiting the GPSrChive Store.

If you connect a hand mic or wireless headset with a PTT button, that will provide the same functionality.
Alpo

Unread post by Alpo »

Thank you. I could not get past the setup page where it wanted to connect with other group ride Treads/similar devices.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Please clarify: Have you been able to use the MURS radio standalone with your Tread yet, or do you still need help?
Alpo

Unread post by Alpo »

Still need help, please. I can't get to where I can use the radio in the Tread, because there is a setup page that searches for other Group Ride radios to connect to. How do I bypass that so I can just use the radio by itself (talking to another handheld MURS radio, not another Garmin). Thanks
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Do you have the Fist Mic attached? What are you using for a headset/mic?

Which Tread Model and firmware version?
Alpo

Unread post by Alpo »

No mic or headset attached at the moment. I will need to put this request on ice for 2 weeks as I've had to take a work trip away from home. Thanks
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Alpo wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:34 am No mic or headset attached at the moment.
You can not use the MURS radio without a microphone.

When a hand mic or headset are connected, you simply press the 'PTT' button to transmit on the selected channel, and any audio broadcast on the same channel will be played over the internal or externally connected speaker. There is no need to select the 'Group Ride' option on the Tread display. So long as the radio is present and a mic is connected, it will be active.

Since you using it on an ADV Bike, you will probably want to use something that fits inside your helmet. Multiple options are available in the GPSrChive Store.

Please visit GPSrChive > Tread > Operation > Off-Road Navigation Features > Radio for detailed information.
Alpo

Unread post by Alpo »

Ok, thanks for that info. When I get home I'll test it out. Earlier you mentioned a BT PTT button which would be ideal but I did not see one in the store.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Most of the higher end wireless headsets either already have or allow the user to configure a button to serve as the PTT function.

Return to “Group Ride Radio”