Unable to Access Google Play

Discussion related to the Garmin Monterra GPSr
sanjin28

Unable to Access Google Play

Unread post by sanjin28 »

Hello,i have problem with my Monterra,i cannot login to google play.

How solve this problem?
TheQuickFox

Re: Unable to Access Google Play

Unread post by TheQuickFox »

You don't. Google changed the infrastructure of the login process in a way that is no longer compatible with older Android versions like 4.0.4 of the Monterra. But this is less of a problem than it seems. The current version of the Google Play Store and Google Play services are huge apps for the old Monterra so even if you could use them it would be greatly recommended to uninstall them because you need the system memory (RAM) for your Garmin apps to run.

Also, most modern Android apps will simple refuse to run at Android 4.0.4 because they require a newer API version. What you should do is downloading the .apk files of the apps you want to use from sites like APKPure or APKMirror. You should mostly look for offline apps and older apps.

I installed an old version of ES File Explorer, old SD Maid, Survival Manual, old version of Firefox for Android and a weather app that still works.
hambonista

Unread post by hambonista »

Google Play will not work on Garmin Monterra? Play Store loads but you can't login? I spent a fair amount of time trying to work around the TLS limitations of android 4.0.4 and in the process found an install path that has given me access to the Play Store on Monterra. I was even able to download a few apps on the Monterra via the Play Store. I already had success using ADB to sideload any apks that I wanted but I was not going to be happy until I could log in to all things Google.

Not sure if this matters but I have Opera Mini installed before starting all of this...

The first step was to go through the app settings and clear cache > clear data > disable each Google entity. I disabled everything including the keyboard (actually, I think I left Google Maps enabled).Next, I went through and did the following in this exact order and with these specific APK versions:

1) Reenable Google Account Manager in App settings. Then use ADB to reinstall with the -r flag

D:\Tools\platform-tools_r35.0.0-windows\platform-tools>adb install -r "com.google.android.gsf.login_4.4-927798-19_minAPI8(nodpi)_apkmirror.com.apk"

2) Reenable Google Services Framework. Use ADB to reinstall with the -r flag

D:\Tools\platform-tools_r35.0.0-windows\platform-tools>adb install -r "com.google.android.gsf_4.0.1-228551-14_minAPI14(nodpi)_apkmirror.com.apk"

3) Reenable Google Play Services. Use ADB to reinstall with the -r flag

D:\Tools\platform-tools_r35.0.0-windows\platform-tools>adb install -r "com.google.android.gms_14.8.49_(000302-231258850)-14849001_minAPI14(armeabi-v7a)(160dpi)_apkmirror.com.apk"

4) Reenable Google Play Store. Use ADB to reinstall with the -r flag

D:\Tools\platform-tools_r35.0.0-windows\platform-tools>adb install -r "com.android.vending_9.8.31-all_0_PR_195868990-80983100_minAPI14(armeabi,armeabi-v7a,mips,mips64,x86,x86_64)(240,320,480dpi)_apkmirror.com.apk"

The above is what I had documented. The following can be accredited to my best attempt at recollection. I think I opened the play store and was prompted with the usual login request. I expected it to fail but to my surprise it authenticated me and gave me a list of antiquated apps. One of which was Puzzle Block which installed without a hitch! I honestly do not know why it is working... somehow it is hitting a repo with compatible apps. Feeling confident I proceeded to reinstall Chrome:

5) Reenable Google Chrome. Use ADB to reinstall with the -r flag

D:\Tools\platform-tools_r35.0.0-windows\platform-tools>adb install -r com.android.chrome-42.0.2311.111-2311111-minAPI14.apk

Uninstalled Opera Mini since it was not performing as well as Chrome v42...

Its worth noting that the previous post has a good point in that any APKs you load especially the ones I listed need to be API version 14. Others may work but my initial attempt at this failed and I think it failed because one of the APKs I loaded was version 15.
Last edited by hambonista on Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
wooda2

Unread post by wooda2 »

Hello. I'm on holidays soon (will need all the time), and I'm going to try to get google going on a Fleet 770 I have.
The links in blue on your post?
I'm trying to get into them but am unable.
Are you able to help please
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Those are not links, they are DOS commands.

Return to “Monterra”