Disable TopoActive Maps?

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
neilwoody

Disable TopoActive Maps?

Unread post by neilwoody »

Can you "disable" the preloaded TopoActive maps on the GPSMAP 66SR? I would like to be able to upload and display maps that are more detailed and suitable for my purposes.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Disable TopoActive Maps?

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Yes, you can enable and disable any loaded maps in Setup > Map.
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

I have another problem with map updates. From the beginning of owning the 66sr in Garmin Express, the suggestion of updating the TopoActive South America map is displayed. I do not and have not had such a map on the device, but there is probably some code in the device that says that I have such a map. Is there a solution to this problem?
JungleJim

Unread post by JungleJim »

I encounter this issue as well, Garmin Express will always show an update to TopoActive South America although that map didn't come with my unit (only TopoActive Europe). Trying to install the SA map will give an error.

I contacted Garmin Support for this issue but alas no response...
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
GPSrChive
Site Admin

We also have multiple devices that Express fails to load TopoActive South America to.

We have reported to Garmin on many occasions.

Seems this is not a high priority issue.
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

Thank you for your answer,
we are waiting for the problem to be solved, although it is not onerous.
JungleJim

Unread post by JungleJim »

Update to my earlier post: the TopoActive South America map will update just fine. I only got the error because I deleted the gmapprom2.img file earlier when cleaning up map files, but after restoring the file (thanks for backups :D ) Express will update the South America map.
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
Gadwin

Unread post by Gadwin »

JungleJim wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:13 pm Update to my earlier post: the TopoActive South America map will update just fine. I only got the error because I deleted the gmapprom2.img file earlier when cleaning up map files, but after restoring the file (thanks for backups :D ) Express will update the South America map.
That's what I tought should be the issue. Unfortunately I deleted this file, because I thought I could reload it.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Technically, you are supposed to be able to do that, when everything is working properly.

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”