GPSMAP 64S Trip Computer values accuracy issue

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 64 series GPSr
dgnzcn

GPSMAP 64S Trip Computer values accuracy issue

Unread post by dgnzcn »

Hello,
I bought gpsmap 64s. When I take a break, the values in the trip computer increase as if I was moving.
I updated to the latest software yesterday but the problem persists.
Does anyone know a way to fix this problem?

Thank you.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: GPSMAP 64S Trip Computer values accuracy issue

Unread post by GPSrChive »

What you are seeing is normal. Due to multiple factors related to satellite constellations etc., the GPSr will appear to be moving even when it is not, and this will cause the Trip Computer values to accumulate additional data, even when you are stationary.

More modern Garmin GPSr allow the user to lock the Trip Computer data to the Track Log Recording, and they also proved multiple methods to pause the Track Log Recording while stationary, some automated, some manual.

Unfortunately, the GPSMAP 64 series does not include this functionality.

The only real option you have with the GPSMAP 64 series is to save your current progress at the beginning of each break or stop, and then clear/reset data when you start off again, and repeat at every stop.

Or, upgrade to a GPSMAP 66.
dgnzcn

Re: GPSMAP 64S Trip Computer values accuracy issue

Unread post by dgnzcn »

I've read that it is useful to put in gps demo mode during the break. But I guess this will also cause a lack of stop recording time.

I wonder if it is very difficult to detect this at the time of stopping and update the trip computer with the software.

Return to “GPSMAP 64”