etrex not showing all of route

Discussion related to the Garmin eTrex 22x, 32x GPSr
confused

etrex not showing all of route

Unread post by confused »

Hello,

I have a etrex 32x and have downloaded a gpx file onto it. However when i look at the file in the etrex unit it does not show the entire route, ie view map it only shows the first 26km of the track on the preview screen and says that the route is only 26km long - when I know the route should be 42 km in total.

When I look at the route in basecamp or any other gpx viewer using the file on the device it always shows the full route, so it has been exported correctly. For some reason the unit is simply not showing the entire route.

I have tried deleting and reloading the file, and other files as well but its always the same. The unit does not show the entire route.

Any ideas, thanks in advance!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: etrex not showing all of route

Unread post by GPSrChive »

You mention both tracks and routes. Which is it?

My initial thought is that the GPX file exceeds the 10,000 point limit for tracks, or it exceeds the 200 point limit for routes.

Can you share the GPX file?
confused

thanks for your reply. I have to admit to being very confused re tracks and routes. I think it is a track as it appears in my 'track manager' on my etrex.
I have been busy googling and there appears to be a 500 waypoint download limit?

this article below seems to have sorted it - in that it uses gpsbabel to restrict the waypoints to 500. When I then send this new file to the etrex it then shows the whole of the route ( I mean track!) but with only 500 waypoints.

it means the track is a bit more of an approximation to the original gpx file that I had planned to follow but it looks perfectly useable and does seem to get around the problem that I was encountering in that the etrex would not show the full route, sorry I mean track.

hope this helps
external link
GPSrChive
Site Admin

confused wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:24 pm thanks for your reply. I have to admit to being very confused re tracks and routes.
Track = recorded breadcrumb trail

Route = Series of points to follow in sequence

Please see GPSrChive > How To... > Tracks and GPSrChive > How To... > Routes for detailed information.

confused wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:24 pm I think it is a track as it appears in my 'track manager' on my etrex.
If it is listed in the Track Manager page, then it is most certainly a Track!

Routes will be listed in the Route Planner page.

confused wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:24 pm I have been busy googling and there appears to be a 500 waypoint download limit? This article below seems to have sorted it - in that it uses gpsbabel to restrict the waypoints to 500. When I then send this new file to the etrex it then shows the whole of the route ( I mean track!) but with only 500 waypoints.

it means the track is a bit more of an approximation to the original gpx file that I had planned to follow but it looks perfectly useable and does seem to get around the problem that I was encountering in that the etrex would not show the full route, sorry I mean track.
The eTrex x2x series are limited to 10,000 points per track. (See GPSrChive > eTrex x2x > Specifications.)

confused wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:24 pm hope this helps
external link
That information is more than a decade old, and is referencing much older eTrex devices.
confused

Interesting, changing the waypoint limit to 500 certainly solved the problem. Without simplifying the waypoints (track points?) the Etrex won’t display the entire track, it truncates after approximately 20km of running distance approx 3hours.

I may have got the terminology wrong, I found this in a newer article

“The Trackpoints Limit is 500, in any one stored track (not including the Active Log, or tracks on the SD card). This is actually quite restricting - at default settings, 500 Trackpoints only represents about 30km of cycling. If you upload a track that is more than 500 points long, it just gets truncated”.

In gpsbable what do you think I can set as the track point limit? I’m using an etrex 32x

Thanks again though.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

10,000 track points.

If you use BaseCamp to export the full track, it will prompt you to simplify the track automatically for the connected device.
confused

Ah, now I understand! I looked at where the track was being truncated and it was indeed at the 10,001 trackpoint number.

I was using base camp to load onto the etrex but didn’t receive any warnings about trackpoint limit.

I couldn’t find a way of reducing the waypoints in base camp but gpsbable seems to have done a good job with limit set at 9999.

Great to have got to the bottom of it and I’ve learnt lots on the way, thanks!

Return to “eTrex x2x”