Is the MINI 2 usable for accurate on-device track logs?

Discussion related to the Garmin inReach MINI 2
scotte

Re: Is the MINI 2 usable for accurate on-device track logs?

Unread post by scotte »

I wonder if you'd get different results with inReach Send Interval set to 10 or 30 minutes. As I had mentioned, my on-device tracklog points tended to cluster around the time that inReach tracking was sent, so my working speculation is that inReach communication frequency influences the activity tracklog even when "High Detail" tracklog is enabled.

Here's a few other references to the same problem I experienced (need to read through the comments on the Garmin Forum threads):
External Link
External Link
External Link
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

scotte wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:10 pm I wonder if you'd get different results with inReach Send Interval set to 10 or 30 minutes. As I had mentioned, my on-device tracklog points tended to cluster around the time that inReach tracking was sent, so my working speculation is that inReach communication frequency influences the activity tracklog even when "High Detail" tracklog is enabled.
Similar test performed today with:
  • GPSMAP 66sr configured to record the track log with 'Auto - More Often'.
  • MINI 2 configured with a 10 minute Tracking 'Send Interval' and 'Activity Recording' set to 'High Detail'.

Test Results
MINI 2 vs 66sr Example 02.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scotte

Unread post by scotte »

Thanks - interesting indeed. Hopefully enough data will be gathered by current MINI 2 owners to track down what's amiss here for some folks. Very odd.
Navigatorman

Unread post by Navigatorman »

Tried out my new mini 2 tracking yesterday, and ya it was lousy. It’s good enough to get you back to where you want to go, but your going to have to use discretion and have some navigation skills. Oh well, not a surprise. It’s king of like a half size version of an old gps 12, with inreach. It gives you off grid communication and your position, at a light weight, now you just need your map and compass.
Last edited by Navigatorman on Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Navigatorman wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:23 pm Tried out my new mini 2 tracking yesterday, and ya it was lousy.
Lousy how? What Tracking interval was used?

How about the activity recording?
Wombo

Unread post by Wombo »

Activity track logging behavior with inReach Send Interval set to at least to 10 minutes appears problematic and inconsistent. Some examples I've already seen here on a new device with latest V4.22:

1. Activity Recording = Standard
According to Garmin this is supposed to match the Send Interval. E.g. point for point to save battery. However, what I am seeing here is:
a) multiple activity track points (in my case typically 5 to 7) logged immediately prior to sending each inReach TrackPoint. Presumably this is occurring in the window while it's waiting to establish connection with the satellite. Definitely not one for one.
b) Under some circumstances (e.g. one example below after a message was sent) Standard Activity Recording immediately stopped honoring the matching of the Send Interval and midstream started logging continual Activity points between the inReach track points. 

2 Activity Recording = High Detail
In some instances having this set will not log Activity track points between inReach sent points (e.g. same behavior as Standard), yet other times it will log detailed Activity trackpoints in between. Unclear at this stage what the triggering for these circumstances are.

Here is one example walking up to a peak, sending an inReach message, and returning on the same trail. The device remained configured with Send Interval at 10 minutes and Activity Recording at Standard, but changed behavior midstream:

*** edited to conform with forum posting guidelines ***
Spoiler
Track all.PNG

And only on the way up better showing the much commented "Standard" behavior with the clustered points:

Spoiler
Track up.PNG

And closer up of the cluster detail:

Spoiler
Close up.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scotte

Unread post by scotte »

Wombo wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:47 am Activity track logging behavior with inReach Send Interval set to at least to 10 minutes appears problematic and inconsistent. Some examples I've already seen here on a new device with latest V4.22:
Your description and pictures match exactly with my experiences with the device from over a year ago which resulted in me returning the device. It is unfortunate that the MINI 2 is still not usable for track logs.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

scotte wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:59 pm It is unfortunate that the MINI 2 is still not usable for track logs.
We can not agree with this opinion.

We have posted the results of multiple testing events in this thread (example 1, example 2) where the MINI 2 provided exceptional tracking detail when compered with 'more accurate' and more expensive Garmin models.
Wombo

Unread post by Wombo »

More detail after some testing here, the erroneous Activity tracking on at least my device is resulting from a combination of inReach Tracking being enabled, and the state of the Auto Track setting.

1. inReach Tracking Enabled and:
If Auto Track is ON (to automatically initiate tracking at power on):
Standard recording will log track points every 10 minutes. It will do this regardless of whether the Send Interval is set to 10, but also incorrectly if set to 20 or 30 minutes. 
High Detail recording likewise will also incorrectly log track points every 10 minutes regardless of whether the Send Interval is set to 10, 20 or 30 Minutes. High detail should log continuously regardless.
The inReach send intervals of 10, 20 & 30 minutes were respected in regards to the transmission of trackpoints to Mapshare.
I didn't try longer send intervals.

If Auto Track is OFF, and Tracking is manually started:
Standard recording will still incorrectly log track points every 10 minutes regardless of whether the Send Interval is set to 10, 20 or 30 Minutes. 
High Detail recording now does behave and will continually log highly detailed trackpoints throughout and irrespective of the send interval e.g. it results in what would be considered a "normal" track. 
I only tested this on 10, 20 & 30 minutes and didn't try longer send intervals.

2. inReach Tracking OFF
Activity tracking works continually as expected.
It works fine either with Auto Track set to on and after powering up, or if tracking is manually started.
Standard recording results in a continuous but rough and sparsely populated track (but significantly better than 10 minute intervals). 
High Detail recording results in a continuous "normal" track that faithfully shows most twists and turns.
As a rough guide, over a short weaving 100m test loop here Standard logged 8 trackpoints, while High Detail logged 18. This was repeatable.

The other issues remain:
* In Standard detail, multiple Activity points (clusters of 4-7) logged through the ~20 second inReach single tracking point send window.
* The previous erratic on the fly mode switch between 10 second "Standard" logging and then continuous logging immediately after an inReach message was sent.

There still could be other issues or differences in what other users are seeing, but given all the similar feedback so far the device is clearly still flaky. 
GPSrChive
Site Admin

We have shared the information you provided with Garmin support.

Thank you for the detailed post!

Return to “inReach MINI 2”