Explore is a bit funky with how it handles current activity tracking

Discussion related to Garmin Explore (Android) application
scotte

Explore is a bit funky with how it handles current activity tracking

Unread post by scotte »

While I'm sure this is "working as designed", Explore can be a bit funky and annoying with how "Current Activity" tracking is handled with paired devices. Specifically, if the current track is not saved on the device, it remains in a pending/limbo mode on the paired phone forever and cannot be deleted, saved, or anything else until it is saved on the GPS receiver and then synced to Explore.

I have observed this behavior on both a GPSMAP 64st and an Inreach MINI 2. And while just an annoyance, and solvable by turning the GPS receiver device back on to save the current track and sync, it could go beyond an annoyance if, say, you forget and the GPS receiver isn't with you. I didn't test if removing the paired device from the phone will clear a current activity in this state, but I sure hope that's the case.

It would be really nice if a track in this state could be manipulated - saved or deleted. It's silly to have a pending, current activity, when the GPS receiver has been turned off for awhile. I'm totally fine if turning the GPS receiver back on resyncs the pending track and brings it back into this state.
scotte

Re: Explore is a bit funky with how it handles current activity tracking

Unread post by scotte »

It just dawned on me that there is a setting in Explore for tracking the current activity for each synced device. It's possible that toggling this might clear a limbo track. I'll try it sometime and post a follow up. Might be a reasonable workaround.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

We eagerly await your test results!
scotte

Unread post by scotte »

Got around to testing this, and indeed toggling "Sync Current Activity" will clear these limbo tracks, as long as the paired device is not syncing. If the GPS receiver device is on, or turned back on, or even charging on some devices (see below), the Current Activity will be synced back, which is fine and expected.

I discovered that the 64st keeps bluetooth enabled (and continues syncing) when turned off but charging via USB with a rechargeable battery pack (or AA NIMH shim). This was a bit of a surprise - I never noticed it before.

Tested with both my GPSMAP 64st and Inreach MINI 2.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Very interesting observation. I wonder if all other Explore capable devices keep Bluetooth enabled this way also?
scotte

Unread post by scotte »

GPSrChive wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:05 pm I wonder if all other Explore capable devices keep Bluetooth enabled this way also?
Along with the GPSMAP 64st, I have confirmed that the Montana 700i keeps Bluetooth on and can be synced while charging but "off".
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Thank you for the update!

Return to “Explore (Android)”