Unable to delete track

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
ptah-be

Unable to delete track

Unread post by ptah-be »

When I connect the GPS to my PC there is a track/activity I can see in Basecamp from before I bought the GPS. I think it's a track from the factory, because it's in Taiwan.

When I delete it through Basecamp it reappears when I reconnect the GPS. I've searched via File Explorer but can't find any .fit or .gpx files, except for the ones I made myself. I also looked on the GPS itself under tracks, activities, way points, ... but I'm unable to locate that track.

You can see the track in the screenshot. The track is from 30 June 2022, but I bought it on 24 July 2022.

Does anyone have an idea where I can find this track and delete it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mimichris

Re: Unable to delete track

Unread post by mimichris »

I never had a trace in the new 66sr, moreover it comes from Germany Garmin Würzburg, not from Taiwan.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
scotte

Unread post by scotte »

My 700i came with a "stringer" track from Taiwan also. I don't believe I had trouble deleting it though - which I also did via BaseCamp. I'll double check if it came back.

I didn't mind it - the timestamp was a convenient way to know my unit wasn't old stock.
scotte

Unread post by scotte »

OK, so I resynced to BaseCamp today, and the stringer from Taiwan came back for me as well! I suspect Explore sync is the culprit as of right now, but I'll see if I can track it down later.
KiwiGPS

Unread post by KiwiGPS »

When preparing GPS units for customers I get rid of the Taiwan track and the sample waypoints by using the Reset functions.
ptah-be

Unread post by ptah-be »

I can't remember if I have ever used Explore sync.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

There must be a GPX file in the GPX directory (or a subdirectory), or a FIT file in the Activities directory, with that recorded track/activity.
scotte

Unread post by scotte »

In my case it was not Explore, but a .fit file on the device. Deleting the track from within BaseCamp hides the stringer track for that session, but it only deletes the .gpx file. When I'd fire up BaseCamp again (without re-plugging the GPS receiver), the stringer track would come back.

In Garmin/Activities on the device storage I deleted the oldest .fit file which was timestamped at the first time I powered the unit up. Since removing that file it has not come back (through a full device reboot and replug into my computer).

Alternatively, you can go into "Recorded Activities" on the device and delete the oldest activity - I tried this method as well and it worked fine (I saved a copy of the .fit file so I could reproduce through different scenarios).

I think the trick is noting that the timestamp of the stringer track is not the same as the timestamp of the .fit file.

See if that does it for you, too?

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”