Missing Position Format: hddd°mm.mmm'

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 64 series GPSr
Jabawokee

Missing Position Format: hddd°mm.mmm'

Unread post by Jabawokee »

Hi
1st post so please be gentle.
Been using our GPSMap 64S for years Geocaching using the Position.Format, hddd°mm.mmm.
Switched on today and it has disapeared from the List, any ideas please folks, it is driving me bonkers looking for it.
Cheers,
Derek F.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Missing Position Format: hddd°mm.mmm'

Unread post by GPSrChive »

First, welcome to the GPSrChive forum!

Please do be sure to visit GPSrChive.com if you haven't already.

Many popular Garmin handheld GPSr were updated from the position format hddd°mm.mmm' to hddd°mm.mmmm' with recent firmware updates. For the GPSMAP 64s, the change log for firmware update v5.90 included "Improved precision of some position formats."

For many, this change has gone unnoticed, while for others, like yourself, it was immediately apparent.

Essentially, the position format is unchanged. It is still the same as it always was, and always will be, only now it is displayed with a higher level of precision.

It has been primarily geocachers who have noticed the change as most geocaches are traditionally listed using hddd°mm.mmm' as the default coordinate system, and they are not used to seeing the extra digit. Some seem to have trouble adapting while others quickly learn to simply ignore the additional digit, which in fact has always been there, but not displayed, until now.
Jabawokee

Unread post by Jabawokee »

Hi
MANY thanks for your reply and explanation, you have saved me 2x things,
1, Another 2hrs of head scratching and hair pulling.
2, Several hundreds of pounds replacing a unit that is ok.
Best Regards,
Derek F.
Smudge

Unread post by Smudge »

Hi, I'm new to this group. I found it while searching google for an answer to this very question. I've just noticed the same thing with my device, do I just leave a 0 for the last digit?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Yes, when entering coordinates with only three digits after the decimal, leave the fourth digit as zero.
Smudge

Unread post by Smudge »

Thank you

Return to “GPSMAP 64”