66i Unit Complete Battery Failure

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66i GPSr
TrackMeNZ

66i Unit Complete Battery Failure

Unread post by TrackMeNZ »

Just a heads up that we have found the first 66i to have a complete battery failure. The device will switch on when plugged into power or in its battery cradle and works seamlessly. When disconnected from power it immediately fails, does not power down, the unit displays 100% battery when on charge only screen.

Device is 18 months old and will be returned to GARMIN under supplier agreement for assessment.
Software is all up to date, reset does not work as looks like it's a hardware or switch issue internal.

We have experienced a few other inReach devices that have had a similar failure, however, they have been the Mini version.

I will update when we have a resolution and an answer from GARMIN as to why it failed.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: 66i Unit Complete Battery Failure

Unread post by GPSrChive »

There have been a few similar experiences posted online about the inReach Mini, and in every case where the user opened up the case, they found the connector from the battery harness was somehow dislodged. Each of these units returned to normal operation after the user reconnected the harness and closed up the case.

We would have really liked to hear what you found after inspecting the same harness. No telling what you will hear from Garmin, if anything.
TrackMeNZ

I will inspect the harness and report. Thanks. I have operated on earlier versions so it shouldn't be an issue.
TrackMeNZ

GPSrChive wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:06 pm There have been a few similar experiences posted online about the inReach Mini, and in every case where the user opened up the case, they found the connector from the battery harness was somehow dislodged. Each of these units returned to normal operation after the user reconnected the harness and closed up the case.

We would have really liked to hear what you found after inspecting the same harness. No telling what you will hear from Garmin, if anything.
Okay so on opening up the back of the unit I discovered 3 different feeds for power to the board.
  • The feed from the power socket, also the data feed, was connected by a 12 pin flat printed cable securely locking it to the motherboard (great connection).
  • The second connection was to the power points for the cradle at the bottom,
  • Lastly the main battery connection.
Both of these last two connections were press-fit couplings with a piece of tape holding the contacts together. Never again am I dropping my 66i as this little act could cause this to come apart. To get the device back together was an artform in itself as there is very little play in the cables. I did manage to get all the plugs aligned and the unit back together, all now works fine.

Have you found that other GARMIN units have similar flimsy connections? The Earlier model inReach devices were virtually bulletproof in design and structural integrity. This design is far from it.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

So what part was loose? What fixed it? Photos?
TrackMeNZ

GPSrChive wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:35 am So what part was loose? What fixed it? Photos?
The main battery connection, the white socket was sitting up from its press-fit connection. I pushed it back into place after completely removing it. Will demonstrate with another unit when I get back from vacation.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Connector 'B' in this image?

GPSMAP 66i Back Cover 02 v4.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TrackMeNZ

GPSrChive wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:42 am Connector 'B' in this image?

GPSMAP 66i Back Cover 02 v4.png
Yes connector B was loose, it is not a very stable connection with only tape holding it in place. There is no lock mechanism other than press fit.

Return to “GPSMAP 66i”