Unit Keeps Turning Off - Crashing

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
IM35461

Unit Keeps Turning Off - Crashing

Unread post by IM35461 »

I bought this to replace my old Oregon which never crashed once in all the years I had it (I can't find it after a house move).

Thus I got this and on the second activity following a gpx file created at gpstraining while adding a waypoint for a car park while entering the detail it just rebooted.

Since then it has more often just turned itself off and once the screen stopped updating and the only option has been to remove the battery.

And at the weekend on a way back it shutdown and after that all my waypoints and other data had gone but thankfully I knew my way back.

Last night I tried the reset option, did not bother with the Bluetooth setup and downloaded a single gpx file to route.

And yes, it did it again :(

I have emailed the suggested Garmin email but could not find all the files suggested but added the debug folder.

Any thoughts please?

I guess I got a lemon :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Unit Keeps Turning Off - Crashing

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Firmware version?

Please provide explicit details to reproduce the crash so we can test and duplicate it.

Thank you!
IM35461

Unread post by IM35461 »

About Info
Software Version 13.20 (46dba15)
Unit ID 3422710672

EPO: Current (before it used to say EPO: Missing)

The device will crash either in hand, padlocked or double click display sleep mode.

The only thing in common is that is navigating either a route, to a waypoint or a course.

Profile used "Hike" and tried different map combinations but nothing seemed to make it any better.

It would be better if it just did not work :D
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Please see GPSrChive > Montana 7x0 > Troubleshooting for contact information to report this crash to Garmin, and include files as requested. They do respond faster to crashes than they do bugs.
IM35461

Unread post by IM35461 »

I have emailed them but failed to find all the files suggested.

Looking at todays crash my unit shutdown less than a minute after creating a waypoint (to replace one I had already lost)

So perhaps creating a waypoint while navigating is one factor?

Waypoint created at 10:11 and unit shutdown just after that (I had put it back in it's pouch).

2022-08-03 (1).png
2022-08-03 (2).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Now you must wait to see if Garmin responds, and they may request additional info then.
berin

Unread post by berin »

I reported this to Garmin, they confirmed it is a known bug and are working on a fix. No timescale given other than "soon".
IM35461

Unread post by IM35461 »

Garmin did get back to me and asked if I could video it crashing. A tricky thing to do :)

Anyway, I went for a 10 mile walk not saving any waypoints while following a track and no problems.

Next day, did the same but adding some waypoints and also no problems.

Also tried different maps and different routing options and over 100 miles later I have not managed to get it to crash once.

So other than one after the full reset it has been fine with no fresh files being created in the debug folder.

I also found my old Oregon one that I misplaced which still works but the screen is damaged with a scratch in the coating.

Return to “Montana 7x0”