Unit feezes with 5,000 waypoints loaded

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66i GPSr
TrackMeNZ

Unit feezes with 5,000 waypoints loaded

Unread post by TrackMeNZ »

We have clients using the 66i for trapping and pest control. They have over 5,000 waypoints and 300 tracks loaded into the device. The device shows over 50% storage free but the devices are freezing and not loading beyond the startup screen at times. Is there any way that waypoints can be selected in groups, or not shown until they are selected from the menu? Does the selection of distance for waypoints to show improve the performance. We have looked at Basecamp being used to manage the waypoints depending on where they are accessing each week, however this is cumbersome to manage. Feedback welcome.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Unit feezes with 5,000 waypoints loaded

Unread post by GPSrChive »

If the start-up freeze is intermittent, it is likely that you have some bad code in a waypoint that is causing this. What is the source for the waypoints being loaded?

Could also be something in a track, which you state are 300 in number, more than the device specifications allow, unless some of them are in the archive directory.

One method for searching waypoints in groups is by symbol (we use this feature to isolate different types of radio antennas), so if you want to assign specific symbols to each group of waypoints, this may be an option for you. You can also create your own waypoint symbols and configure the devices so they share the symbols with BaseCamp.

See GPSrChive > How To... > Waypoints > Custom Waypoint Symbols for details.
TrackMeNZ

The waypoints and tracks are all generated by the 66i. When I separate out the waypoints, put them on an SD Card, and trimmed back the tracks to specific ones the device seems to operate within acceptable parameters.

Another setting I changed was to set zoom levels to specific map sizing and not auto. This helped to show the waypoints only when relevant but not start-up time.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

TrackMeNZ wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:59 am When I separate out the waypoints, put them on an SD Card, and trimmed back the tracks to specific ones the device seems to operate within acceptable parameters.
This process resolves the freeze on boot?
TrackMeNZ

Unfortunately not. Seems the original idea of some waypoints with invalid characters could be the culprit. Investigating more, just took 15 mins to start.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

What, if any, processing is being performed on the Waypoint GPX files?

What software is used?
TrackMeNZ

GPSrChive wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:04 am What, if any, processing is being performed on the Waypoint GPX files?

What software is used?
GARMIN Basecamp is being used for extracting, editing, and reloading waypoints and tracks
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Can you share your 5,000 waypoints for testing, either publicly or privately?
TrackMeNZ

Yes I can email the GPX file. Send me an email via my Profile
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Please use
Spoiler
webmaster at GPSrChive dot com.
Thank you!