SD Card issues

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66i GPSr
ChupaxChups

SD Card issues

Unread post by ChupaxChups »

Hi!

There is an issue about SD card on my 66i.

I loaded a new maps on the card from a computer, put in the device and power on and it work flawlessy the first time.

But if I shutdown the device, the device won't complete the boot sequence. It crash and shutdown itself.

And the weird part, if y take the SD card and read it on a computer without writing on it, the card would work like the first try. But the issue reappear after a reboot.

Is the device corrupting the files on the SD card?

The SD card has been formated in FAT32, with just a "Garmin" folder with the map in it.
I've tried with differents OSM maps in .img and different SD card, so we can exclude those.

Thanks!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: SD Card issues

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Brand/Model/Capacity of microSD card?

GPSMAP 66i firmware version?
ChupaxChups

Yes sorry forgot to put the information.

I tried with differents SD card (all SDHC class 10):
SanDisk High Endurance 32Go
SanDisk Ultra 16Go
Samsung Evo plus 32Go

And the last firmware for the 66i: 9.20
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Next logical step is to place same microSD card into another Garmin GPSr and observe behavior. If the same, the device is not the issue, the map or card is. If different behavior, your 66i may need a master reset amd retest.
ChupaxChups

Already done a master reset, no answer from Garmin so far.

I don't have access to another Garmin GPSr.

Is there an old firmware version which is well tested?

Well that's will be a reimbursement if this device can't be reliable on a simple thing.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

ChupaxChups wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:10 pm Is the device corrupting the files on the SD card?
Very unlikely, as the microSD card is only used for additional Read Only data storage, such as additional maps, waypoints, tracks, routes, courses, etc. you may want to have access to, and that will not fit on internal memory.

All data saving is done to the devices internal memory only, the GPSr does not write data to the microSD card.

Where did you source the microSD cards? What software was used to format them FAT32? Perhaps they have a problematic formatting?

ChupaxChups wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:57 am Already done a master reset, no answer from Garmin so far.

I don't have access to another Garmin GPSr.

Is there an old firmware version which is well tested?
You do not know anyone with a Garmin GPSr?

We are running the current firmware version without issue on our GPSMAP 66i.

ChupaxChups wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:57 am Well that's will be a reimbursement if this device can't be reliable on a simple thing.
I think we are getting ahead of ourselves here. Lets figure out why the microSD cards are having issues and correct that first!
inu

Unread post by inu »

GPSrChive wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:24 pm All data saving is done to the devices internal memory only, the GPSr does not write data to the microSD card.
Do you mean that physical writing capability is removed so it's no more possible to write something from an external source in the mass storage mode?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

inu wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:53 am
GPSrChive wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:24 pm All data saving is done to the devices internal memory only, the GPSr does not write data to the microSD card.
Do you mean that physical writing capability is removed so it's no more possible to write something from an external source in the mass storage mode?
No.
ChupaxChups

Well, other people had likely the same problem on Garmin forum:
https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-recre ... ly/1458999
GPSrChive
Site Admin

That will not help us here.

Please answer the questions above so we can continue.

Return to “GPSMAP 66i”