BirdsEye Direct Image Quality

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: BirdsEye Direct Image Quality

Unread post by GPSrChive »

mimichris wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:03 am here's the slightly sharper low-scale image on the 66sr, unreadable to track.
What was the selected BirdsEye Detail for that download? Standard, High, or Highest?
mimichris

Unread post by mimichris »

ewald.gruen wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:30 pm I picked a random French village and created a GIF animation comparing BirdsEye to Maxar, Bing, BD Ortho and Enedis:

france.gif

The 66sr does change the aspect ratio of the images it downloads from services.digitalglobe.com, but not the resolution.
mimichris wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:50 amthe WiFi connection number with letters and numbers
If you mean the SSID and password, yes, but you only have to enter them once?

PS: I don't know how to add inline attachments the way @mimichris does it.

birdseye.jpg

maxar.jpg

bing.jpg

bd_ortho.jpg

enedis.jpg
What you show are personal JNXs not those of Garmin, I too can create and read personal JNXs on my 66sr, but I am only talking about JNXs downloaded from Garmin of course.

Concerning the SSID I know that it is put only once but I had lost it so it is necessary to start again and it is the galley on the Garmin GPS the keyboard is not practical.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
mimichris

Below are two personal JNXs, the first zoom 1 and the second zoom 2, the quality is much better than the Garmin JNXs.

jnx caux1.jpg

jnx caux2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ewald.gruen

Unread post by ewald.gruen »

mimichris wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:32 amWhat you show are personal JNXs not those of Garmin
No, the first image in the gif and the first image in the attachments are screenshots from the 66sr (scaled and compressed).
mimichris wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:32 ambut I am only talking about JNXs downloaded from Garmin of course.
So do I, and while you are absolutely right that the image quality is rather poor, your claim that Garmin is degrading it on purpose is simply not true.
mimichris wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:44 am Below are two personal JNXs, the first zoom 1 and the second zoom 2, the quality is much better than the Garmin JNXs.
But did you use the same image source (Maxar) as Garmin does?
mimichris

No, I don't use Maxar, but IGN (French mapping site) satellite photos, or Goggle Earth. which are of good quality. To save them I use Mobac then I transform the RTMAP or Oziexplorer image into JNX with the MAPC2MAPC software, it goes quickly. I do the same thing with the IGN maps of France at 1/25000.
mimichris

two satellite images;

the premiere of IGN at zoom 19,

Presse-papiers-3.jpg

the second of Google Earth zoom 19.

Presse-papiers-4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ewald.gruen

mimichris

Maxar is not free, for France the IGN is now free, maps, satellite photo, DEM of 5m and 1m of precision, etc...

I get high quality BirdsEye imagery by creating the maps myself with IGN satellite photos of France.
mimichris

Three screenshots in JNX with IGN satellite maps:

128.bmp

152_New.bmp

183_New.bmp
ewald.gruen

mimichris wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:40 pmfor France the IGN is now free
Yes, but certainly not for Garmin if they wanted to use it for commercial purposes.
mimichris wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:04 pm Three screenshots in JNX with IGN satellite maps
Nice!
GPSrChive wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:19 pmWhat was the selected BirdsEye Detail for that download? Standard, High, or Highest?
It must have been 'Highest' because the quality matches the raw footage straight from services.digitalglobe.com:
  • Maxar:
    maxar.jpg
  • BD Ortho 2021:
    bd_ortho.jpg
PS: @mimichris, you should cover the back part rather than the front part of the coordinates in your screenshots. ;)

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”